warming the cab faster - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 07:34 PM
lasteaglescout

warming the cab faster

i was woundering if anyone has an idea about how to heat the cab of my cj7 faster. i really dont want to add another heater into the system. i see that the chevy blower motor works well so im going to try that also. i was woundering if an auxilary electric heater would help out and if any one has any info on which heaters would work the best.

Thanks for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 08:06 PM
Spike5421

Re: warming the cab faster

I just did the Blazer heater blower upgrade the day before yesterday and it works great. It would probably be all you need. After mine is on low for a while I have to turn it off before I burn my foot off! It makes the rest of the cab really toasty too. You may try looking for a rear heater from a big van if you need more.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 08:09 PM
lasteaglescout

thanks for the addvise i will try it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 08:28 PM

Welcome to the board 1 last eagle, i'm guessing your an eagle scout, so am i, i think there's a fair amount of eagles on the board. These guys are a great bunch.

BarrelRoll
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 08:55 PM
Way Outta Control

1. Welcome to the forum.
2. Thank you for filling out your user profile:
3. Read the New Posters Message at the top of the forum.
4. Participate! Two brains are better'n one!
5. I don't favor electric heaters... thier power grabbers and I've yet to see one that works well for the price.
6. If you're not willing to plumb in an auxilary heater may I suggest:
a. Install mylar wind shields behind the harddoor decorative panels to prevent side winds entering the cab.
b. Find and caulk all holes in the firewall.
c. Fix all rust holes.
d. Make sure all the rubber around the the hard doors is in good shape.
e. Make sure hard doors are aligned with the tub.
f. Install a foam gasket between the hard door and windsheild frame.
g. Install a foam gasket between the tub lip and hardtop.
h. install foam inside the windscreen uprights to block heated air from going up around the windshiled frame and be wasted.
i. Install foam inserts or kick panels between the floor and tub lips around the side panels.
j. Install carpet on the inside of the hardtop.
k. Install foam seals around the window cranks, door handles and locks to prevent side winds from entering cabin.
l. Make a clear mylar winter front for the grill to prevent cold air from entering the engine compartment. It looks better than cardboard and duct tape.
m. Refurbish your heater box.
n. Have the heater core refurbished, or buy a new one.
o. The Blazer Blower Motor upgrade is a good start, but it's only a start!

That outta keep ya busy for a while! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 09:31 PM
lasteaglescout

thank very much for your response carpal. i will take your advise into consderation.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 10:32 AM
mindbender

My jeep is driven in North Dakota and Minnesota during the winter. That means cold in the morning and sometimes even colder during the day. With the mods to the CJ it can turn the cab passengers to toast.
1. Insulated the hardtop - nice difference, particularly with moisture buildup.
2. Did the header upgrade, but also channeled all of the air through the defroster to clear front window with amazing speed and force.
3. Took a part an auxillary rear heater from a van and built an oak box to handle the coil and fans. Purchased 4 4.5" computer fans that draw little juice, but put out a significant quantity of air. This reduced the depth of the heater system to 5" and other dimmensions to 10" by 10". and easily mounted underdash. Painted the box to match the dash and channeled outlets to permit air to flow towards passenger and drivers feet, as well as to force air between to the back seat. Hooked top two fans to one switch and other two fans to another switch and blocked airflow to permit one set of fans to blow air to feet and other to blow air to back.. Mounted toggle switches to each pair of fans on dash. Advantages - very quiet fans, move more than adequate amount of air, little amp draw, narrow so mounting under dash easy, and fans do have long life, easily replaced if one does die.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 10:41 AM
Way Outta Control

1. Minebender, can you post pictures/plans of that auxilary heater system?
2. I'd be interested in stealing the pictures and plans and squirreling them away for later.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 05:39 PM
Official Curmudgeon

Do the heater motor upgrade.

Get one of these from 4WD Hardware. Part number 5618.

Get a scrambler half top.

With the above, I have to turn the fan to low after about 7-8 miles and have to turn it off after about 12-15 miles and since I smoke, I drive with the drivers window down about an inch and a half. Of course it's only been down into the middle teens here. When it get below zero, I've got a Kayline grille cover I use too. I don't think they are available anymore though.

If you don't want to do the halftop, the Windbreaker, used as a divider, helps too.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 06:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've got a brand new Blazer fan motor for short $$ if you want. I couldn't use it in my 72. E-mail me if you're interested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode