clearance on conversion ?'s and extra parts - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

clearance on conversion ?\'s and extra parts

i've been trying to put my 383 into my jeep for bout a week now and keep having problems with a couple things. i need some info bout how far up to tilt the engine and how much clearance i will have against the firewall. i have an hei and i'm worried about this hitting the firewall. i cant place my old tub back on because it literally fell apart when we took it off ( broke inhalf). i'm mounting my t176 tranny mount through the second hole in the skid plate. should i move it up to the first set of holes? i would need a new rear driveshaft if i do. do i want to have any angle on the carb. mounting plate or do i want the engine to sit level according to that? i know this is alot of questions but i dont want to have to mess with this later. thanks for any help. i also went through my extra parts i'm not gonna be using. make an offer, i just need to get rid of alot of this stuff. 2 fenders (okay, a little rust, but no holes), hood (good shape) flywheel for 350 (its been machined, very heavy though 35 pounds), 258 engine and parts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 10:09 PM
311mx

Re: clearance on conversion ?\'s and extra parts

Sorry, can't help you with all the quesitons but I recently did a swap on my '90 YJ with a 318 magnum. The only thing I can tell you is that the engine is supposed to sit at a 1-3 degree angle pointed down towards the rear. Hope this helps a little.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 12:23 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: clearance on conversion ?\'s and extra parts

I just finished a 350/T176/300 install in my Scrambler. I used MORE motor mounts and the trans bolted into the second set of holes in the skid plate. This gave plenty of clearance for the HEI distributor, and for a long water pump and a fan clutch with a stock fan. The carb sits level (Edelbrock performer manifold with a Q-jet). I used the stock bellhousing for the 2.5GM that was originally installed. Used Hedman "Tight Tubes" shorty headers and 2 1/4" duals, a 90degree bend just after the collector and a few little tweaks and the exhaust is all above the lower edge of the frame. She drives great, really moves out, and gets 17MPG if I keep my foot out of it. My next step is fuel injection, maybe a 700R4 auto, and some D44's.
Do a search under my posts for my screen name...there should be a pic under "350 in a jeepster" thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode