What have I done?!?! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

What have I done?!?!

Since my Jeep is in for the winter getting some junk taken care of before spring time, I decided I'd have a little fun with some body work. I'm going to either cut my fenders up some more, or make a new set. Not sure yet. I'm pretty nervous at this, because once I got done I thought to myself, dang, did I really just take off my fender? Now I just have the other side to remove(which looks like it'll be harder). I also need to remove the front grill so I can drill some holes in the frame for my swaybar.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 969517-jeepfndr.jpg (74.0 KB, 8 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 05:03 PM

Re: What have I done?!?!

hahaha, your nervous!??

I wish you could see mine, the tub is in the back yard, severa boxes full of tranny parts, engine on a stand in carport, frame in carport, blah , its everywhere!

oh yeah, your supposed to wash them before working, it makes it much more fun!

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 05:06 PM

Cut the hood, on a yj you can chop a good 5" or so off. I thought about making fenders for my jeep that attached to the hood kinda like those high clerance hoods. If you took your time you can make it look good and probably be able to fit 37's to 40's with out much of a problem.

BarrelRoll
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Oh yeah, I forgot to say I'm going to try and go for the Jeeper99 look [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]....you know, a few pieces of sheetmetal stapled to my body in random fashion. [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] It'll look GREAT!!! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Andy, I doubt I'll be playing with my hood much. I don't need clearance THAT bad. Just gonna make a nice set of tube fenders or something of the sort.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 07:44 PM

If you're looking for ideas Jammy, take a look at H8s front fenders. I thought they looked pretty sharp myself. Plenty of clearance, and I'll bet plenty tough too!

As for taking fenders off, I like doing that on my jeep when I have major engine work to do.....makes getting at the beast a whole lot easier! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Just put my jeep on blocks for the winter. Only body work I'm planning is redoing both doors and painting them....and those come off real easy!

Good luck with it buddy, just remember to post pics as you go!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 09:11 PM

Are you going to fix those headlights too while your at it? [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

I wasn't going to say anything cause I wasn't sure what the YJ guys would think/say, but I purchased a CJ grill a few months back and have decided to swap it in while I have it all apart. I got kind of tired of hearing people rag on me and the more I look at the CJ grills, the more I really like them. Any tricks to doing this? And anybody got a set of headlights? I have the turn signals.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 969778-i-1.jpg (18.1 KB, 3 views)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

I was talking to toddw and he brought up a good point. If I build some new fenders out of tube/pipe, and they're plenty beefy, what happens when I hit them? I bet they wouldn't give, but the tub they're attached to would. But I don't really want to tie them into the frame for extra support, cause then they're be almost permanant, right? So what are my options? I could just modify my old fenders, but where's the fun in that? I was thinking of just getting some small diameter tube/pipe with a thin wall and then build them from that. What does everyone think? They'd be light, and would hopefully crunch some if I hit them instead of transfering the impact to the tub.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 09:35 PM

I've never done it but if your making your own fenders I can't see it as being to hard. I may beable to find you a set of headlight buckets I'll check into it on sat. when I see the guy.

It'll look great with the round lights too [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 09:36 PM

[cough,traitor,cough] Yeah, Im sure the YJ guys will be fine with it,...GRRRRRRRRRR

Damn I can almost hear that grill rusting from here. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode