Sway Bar - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 03:48 AM Thread Starter
MOX
Old Hand

Sway Bar

How do I go about taken this rear sway bar off. Any cons to this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 07:39 AM

Re: Sway Bar

Not necessarily cons, but things you should know. Obvious, of course, is that the Jeep will lean more when cornering and on side hills, and rock and change direction a little easier in crosswinds and when passing big trucks.

Also, sway bars affect how the vehicle behaves in fast cornering. A sway bar increases roll stiffness at the end they're mounted on. Increased roll stiffness transfers cornering power to the opposite end of the vehicle, and removing the bar does the opposite of course.

So taking off the rear bar will transfer cornering power to the rear. That means that in hard cornering the vehicle will tend to understeer more - in a nutshell, making it less 'tailhappy', or increase 'push' in stock car terms. All of which is significant if you like to corner at speeds that have you drifting sideways. You'll never notice the difference in what most folks call normal driving.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 08:42 AM
Way Outta Control

OK, you've heard the pros and cons...

1. One con that was not mentioned is that with a disconnected sway bar there is more vibration transmitted to the rest of the undercarriage and will wear out parts faster... and that contributes to accidents.
2. It's not just a matter of increasing the roll over factor.

The rest is IMHO...

1. Drive it on the Street and you become a victum to every Socker Mom and damit dog (you all know the type, the little yappy ones that come up to you and yap thier little heads off at you... then you kick it a month to Sunday and mutter "dam dog" to yourself) that decides to cut you off in traffic or run into the road in front of your Jeep...
2. Drive with the swaybar disconnected on the highway and you're driving at your own risk... if you have an accident... you're insurance company will deny you were ever a client.
3. So, that means... using quick disconnects.
4. It's a good way to have best of both worlds, on and off road.
5. Just don't forget to:
a. Run it by your insurance company.
b. Keep 'em installed when on road.
c. Don't get lazy about re-connecting them, it's tempting to just drive off without re-connecting... after all what could it hurt?
6. Think ahead. Quick disconnects are also another place on a Jeep that needs constant preventative maintance to work correctly. You've got to keep the mechanism free to work easily. That can be a hassle, and limit your choice of kits, or home-made disconnects.
7. Swaybar disconnects can, and do fail. This can be very inconvenent when traveling at 70mph and a Yugo cuts you off on the Freeway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 11:48 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

LEVE,

Did you see his post said REAR sway bar?

I wouldn't think that a rear one would make all that much difference. I know the front one willl. If you remove the sway bars you will have MUCH more wheel travel and ability off road, but You will need to adjust your street driving: drive slower, anticipate sharp turns, realize you can no longer corner hard.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 11:55 AM
Way Outta Control

Yep, but to quote myslef from Yesterday... </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
a. I'm too darned stupid to write, or spell, coherently.
b. I quickly get lost reading/typing paragraph form text.

[/ QUOTE ] And that was one mighty small paragraph! [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2002, 04:57 AM

Your bio lists your Jeep as a '95 Wrangler. I was under the impression that the YJ's had only a front swaybar. I have a '93, and a buddy with a '94, and they have no rear swaybars. They do have track bars front and rear though. Is this what you are referring to?? If so, I know alot of people that remove the track bar in the rear with no major problems. Its main purpose is to keep the axle from moving laterally while cornering.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2002, 09:27 AM
Addict

I have 2 roomates, both with 95 yj's. one (who is nuts and learned to drive from dukes of hazzard) managed to rip his rear swaybar off the mount. the other unbolted his from the axle and tied it up to the frame. both claim improved articulation with no adverse effects on handling. i suggest going with option #2 of unbolting and tying up temprarily to see if you experience any handling issues, then taking it totally off if all is good.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2002, 01:17 PM
Official Historian

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
one (who is nuts and learned to drive from dukes of hazzard) managed to rip his rear swaybar off the mount. the other unbolted his from the axle and tied it up to the frame.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're talking about a track bar, not a sway bar.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2002, 03:17 PM
Addict

panhard bar, track bar, sway bar. either way you know what i mean. the bar that runs from the rear axle to the frame.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2002, 11:29 PM
Official Historian

panhard bar and track bar are two terms for the same thing. the sway bar is different and performs an entirely different function.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode