Setting up the R&P on the waggy 44.... VENTING - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Setting up the R&P on the waggy 44.... VENTING

Ok Iím really pissed off now. I need to rant for a minute.

Iím trying to setup the ring and pinion on my waggy 44 front axle. I have a nice brand new Detroit Locker, Ring and Pinion and a master setup kit. I went into work last Saturday and even made a super heavy-duty case spreader that I could snap the case with. I took the old bearing race in a ground off .005 to make it slip in to set the pinion depth. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

The 1st thing I did was to install the ring gear on the locker and I cut the SH*T out of my knuckle because they donít bother deburring there machined parts. [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] I almost had to go and get stitches. So that Killed my Saturday. Sunday was church and football.

Monday I came home and installed the bearings and set the carrier in the case to check out how much shims I needed for the initial setting. I barely got one of the bearings off and the other one I could barely get the puller under the bearing to pull it. I tried everything I could think of with no luck. I even put my chain vice grips around the puller to try and keep it from popping off. I finally ended up braking my puller arm.

Today I found some old arms for the puller at work in the old junk cabinet. So back at trying to pull the bearing. I hated to do it but I had to get the die grinder out and undercut the case so I can get a bite under the bearing. Well I had so much pressure on the puller that when it let loose it trashed the bearing. So out came the cutoff wheel and off came the bearing FINALLY.

So here I set with beer in hand.

Thanks for giving me this nice place to tell my story to guys that have probably gone through the same things.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 08:37 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Setting up the R&P on the waggy 44.... VENTING

i usually press the bearings on.. and then shim it outside the race... on the tube side.. seems to work.. i have never had a problem in 3 years...
someday ill bore out some old bearings so i can slip them on and off..
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 12:38 AM
Way Outta Control

Cuttin' off bearings is a PITA. It's one part of working on a Rust Heap like mine I don't like... but sometimes it just has to be done. So I get out the compressor, the cutting wheel and lots of band-aids for when I put my thumb over the cutting wheel. Sometimes I'm just not too bright. [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 06:39 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Who's gears are you using. If you are using Dana gears, put the old shims in first and start there. Also on the pinion depth, if they are good gears, there should be markings to tell you how deep to put the pinion. Makes life much, much easier. Also get another set of bearings and hone them out and use them for setup bearings, then when you have it set-up, install the new bearings. Dana rears suck to setup there is no doubt about it, but with setup bearings it makes the job much, much easier. Most of the time you wont get the bearings off the carrier in one piece. Sometimes you get lucky but most of the time forget it just throw them in the trash.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 06:56 AM

"and then shim it outside the race... on the tube side.. seems to work.. i have never had a problem in 3 years... "
=====

I really like this ideal, have tried it a couple of times with out any luck. Never been able to manage to get the carrier back in without dislodging or ruining the shims..... What's your secret????? [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Thanks...09
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 07:13 AM

amc20 axles have teh shims behind the race also, closer to teh tubes as JeepGod is saying.

Pat,
are you saying itll work to set up a dana 44 like that also? youve actually done them that way on a D44 and ran it? thats SWEET! thatll save me lots of time!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 07:20 AM
Keyboard Implanted

ive set up d44 and d60's this way... you need to put them in alittle loose.... and measure you back lash.. then add the correct shims.. sometimes i can get them in by prying on the carrier.. and other times i will need to dislodge them alittle.. pull the bearing and race part out about an inch or so to get the new shims in.. takes alittle fanagling (is that a word?) but ive done it successfully more times than i have buggered up the shims.. and yes.. i havent had any problems with my axles.. i also try to set things on the tight side.. not beyond the limits.. but towards that direction..
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 07:25 AM

wow, theres a star for teaching me something ( and saving me some time!)

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

That sound like a real quick and easy way to do it.... Just like my AMC 20HD will be done. I will be 3 more axles for my friend so I think they are each going to buy one extra bearing that I will hone out and use for setup bearings.
No cost to me and life will get easier. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Leve, Somethings doing it yourself isn't too bright. Me, I'm CHEEP and I still got plenty of bandaids from when the kids were young.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode