dana 300 and dana 44s in a YJ - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 01:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

dana 300 and dana 44s in a YJ

I have a dana 300 t-case I got from a 76 scout II. There's an article in JP on a "flip kit" to make it work with my tf-999 auto tranny(or any other 87 plus wrangler). The problem is that this kit from Down East offroad cost 650 plus dollars. but for that money, it seems like i could just beef up my stock nv231. Is there any way that I could fit the dana 300 with my driver side dropped dana 30 front? Anyone have any experience with this? thanks a lot.

new question...I found an article on puting the dana 300 from a cj into a yj with scout II dana 44s. will the 300 transfer case from the scout bolt right on to my tf 999 tranny like the article says the one from a late 80s cj will? or are they different bolt patterns? I have a whole 76 International scout II sitting at a friends house with nowhere to go except the yard so I'm stripping it of most stuff. it's got a t-19 and a 304. those of any value to anyone? I'd put the t-19 into my jeep but it's too heavy and probably not worth the time it would take to put in.
Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 02:02 PM
asau

Re: dana 300 in an 88 YJ?

ok the 231 puts the front driveline to the drivers side, and the dana 300 puts the driveline to the passenger side. well if you really want to keep the dana 300 without having to pay for the flip kit you could just replace your front axle to one that has a passenger side pumpkin, like the dana 44 under the scout you got the dana 300 from, or another option is a dana 44 from a wagoneer with a passenger side pumpkin.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 02:03 PM
Way Outta Control

You ain't got much choice if you want to run the Dana300 but to flip it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 02:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

thanks...right after i posted, I found a write up on swapping the 44s in with the 300. i edited my post above. thanks for the replies.
tim
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 02:14 PM
Official Historian

I really doubt you have a dana 300 if it is a 76 scout II. The dana 300 was only used in the 1980 scout II and even then it had the dana 20 bolt pattern. I don't think you can flip a scout dana 300 because it doesn't have a 6 bolt round pattern around the input shaft where it bolts to the trans.

Anyone want to verify this?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 05:08 PM

Re: dana 300 and dana 44s in a YJ

The scout d300 won't bolt to an ax15/ tf999, you need a cj d300. I'm in the process of putting a cj d300 into my tj and it's becoming a challange, you have to get it clocked just right, hack the floor, and make a new skid plate, new drive shaft, but go for it, it's worth it in the end.

BarrelRoll
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 06:17 PM
Keyboard Implanted

what you have there is a dana 20 case... the scout dana 300 only came in 1980... while the rest came with dana 20's.. they both have the same "texas" style bolt pattern... vice the NP "round" pattern that cj dana 300's have..
to check it out.. look at the output shaft housing.. is it steel... or aluminum?? steel is dana 20.. while the d300 is aluminum...
niether one will bolt up to your tranny... if i where you.. and really wanted something.. i would drop the whole drive train into your jeep... does the 345 run?
that t19 is a really good tranny... its pretty much the same as a t18.. but it has a synchronized first gear... and the scout versions are wide ratio... one heavy duty tranny... with a granny low gear..
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 12:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I was just told that it is a dana 300. I wasn't sure at all. my friend claims it is but he doesn't know much about the scoutII. There's know way I'm gonna drop that huge, heavy engine into my Jeep. It's a 304 right? It's having a little trouble starting right now anyway. I'm kinda trying for the best of both worlds thing as far as having strong parts that are light. I am planning on running 35 inch tires in the future but I would like to build it all up before then.I'm not sure that my stock axles will bee able to hold 35s, and I could build them up for the same price as I could get the dana 44s. Jeep...an endless adventure. Thanks guys. Lots to think about.
Tim
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 12:56 PM
Official Historian

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
There's know way I'm gonna drop that huge, heavy engine into my Jeep. It's a 304 right?

[/ QUOTE ]

It might be a 304 or it might be a 345. If it is a 304, don't forget that that is a IH 304 not an AMC 304. They are NOT the same.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 01:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

regardless, the 304 currently isn't running. We've gotten it to run before but there's an annoying electricle problem with right now and besides...I like my 4.2L.
Has anyone here put the t-19 tranny in a YJ? I'm wanting those 44's under my jeep and the whole scout is FREE to me so I can use whatever I want from it...otherwise it's going to the grave yard. I'm trying to stay away from expensive adapters but looks hopeless so far. thanks again
tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode