Sand Tires - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Sand Tires

I remember when a fella named Cepek had wheels made that would fit his, I think, Landcruiser that would mount high floatation farm implement tires. Now the New Jersey Beach Buggy Association, http://www.njbba.org, says that the Goodyear A/Ts are ok. I was wondering if large summer tread tires would float better on sand?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 09:22 AM

Re: Sand Tires

On the Kenai Peninsula, Alaska, the trick thing to do for beach tires has always been big, bouncy and virtually no tread. In fact what a lot of the set-net fisherman use is a fullsize 4x4 (1970s Fords or Chevy's mostly now, though it used to be M37s) with tires from a DC-3 on them.....yep, that's right, DC-3. I'm not exactly sure what they do for rims and such, but it's very common here. Sorry, I don't have any pics. These guys put cranes on these trucks and haul out HEAVY totes of salmon and such on them with no problem. Plenty of floatation. Hope this helps.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 09:36 AM
Way Outta Control

1. Sand on the Kenai? Where? All I remember is rocks, gravel, a "little" sand, bears, dead/dying salmon and lots and lots of rocks!
2. Those "Tundra" tire are also used to prevent fruther damage to the flora and fauna, thus helping to placate the greenies.
3. Often the same trucks are used to take goods inland.
4. The Inland roads aren't always that good... remember "Road Boils"?
5. These tires alos help avoid sinking the vehicle when hitting boil.
6. And they look darned cool!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 09:59 AM

Well as I remember, that same fella, (Cepek) made a test with some Firestone and GoodYear fellas to determine the best type of tires to use in the sand. You will never guess what they concluded!!!! Of all the types of mud snow offroad tires that were tested the old standard highway tread tire was the best. Run it with low air psi and it out performed all the others even with low psi on all tires. I read these test results years ago. They tested about 45 different types of tires and manufactures. The thing that stood out was it was a standard of the rack Sears tire that won [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 10:07 AM
Mud in my Veins

Like these? If your looking for something LARGER, you'll defintely have to wheels made. Might as well buy a Monster truck! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/dt...odeIndex=38033 11 inches wide, a little over 30 and a half inches tall? http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compar...rer=BFGoodrich ???
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 02:17 PM
Nickmil

All Terrain tread works very good in a radial tire. Bias ply tires tend to be too stiff. You need something that can be aired
down to single digits and will provide as wide and long a foot print as possible. Sand is much like snow, with
different textures and characteristics. Personally I run paddle tires on the rear and a set of Good Year Terra Tires
run backwards on the front. I've even run swampers with success in the sand. It's very important to adjust the tire pressure
to the sand conditions. My Terra tires I run at about 7 psi and paddles about 6 psi. 1 Lb. of air will make a Huge
difference in sand. Nickmil.
[img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 04:12 PM

I remember an old article in Four Wheeler where they ran some Mickey Thompson drag slicks in the sand with great results. If I remember right they were something obscene like the 31-16.50 or 18.50s. I have had good luck with mild all-terrain radials, though.

Ken Linzmeyer
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 06:02 PM

i remenber back in the 70s, a freind of mine had a 49 flaty with a vett 327 in it just stock (300 hp)
he took the right rear off a outlaw sptint car that was wore out, he made 16 inch rims him self by taking a 8 inch an putting a 8 inch spacer an welding it back together.these tires had no tread looked all most like slicks. i seen him whip up on paddles they did not stand a chance. i would not have belieaved it i hadnt seen with my own two eyes but they a 49 dont weigh much either

duke
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 06:20 PM
Mud in my Veins

I used to run with some guys out at the Outer Banks. My buddy John had an old Bug w/ a 3" Pan lift and was running 33" ATs (worn past the bars) and a set of ribbed 33"s up front. At about 5-10psi, they would only dig into the loose stuff when he was against something (a little head-to-head "push o war" [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]). He had his stock VW rims widened in VA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode