Can you rebuild a seized engine??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Can you rebuild a seized engine???

I have never rebuilt an engine myself. I thought that in most cases engines were rebuilt when they started burning oil, losing compression, and had low power. Engines in that condition are still functioning and could be taken apart in normal fashion. On an engine that has seized due to oil starvation is it possible to remove the seized parts? Can you do a rebuild once the parts are removed? I have a seized 360 sitting on a stand in my shop. I was going to tear it down and see if a rebuild is possible. Am I wasting my time? This 360 had around 120k without any rebuilds.

Thanks,
Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 11:13 PM
pig

Re: Can you rebuild a seized engine???

You can pull the heads and look it would take about 1 hour and pull the pan 20 min. How bad did it overheat? It could have warped all kinds of stuff that isn't visible to the naked eye it would have to be inspected by a pro It could probablly be remachined I don't think the heat would have effected the steel since it was poured in a mold as molten steel to make it in the first place good luck it don't cost nothin to look
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 11:30 PM

Sure you can rebuild it as long as a rod didn't go through the block. With oil starvation you will most likly need a crankshaft and a few if not all the rods if the rods are blued throw them and have the others checked. The easiest thing is tear it down and take it to a machine shop and have them check out the parts. I always mark my parts first so I know I get my stuff back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

I thought it should be possible, since nothing punctured the block. Okay I will save it from the scrapyard.

Thanks,
Tom
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 09:10 AM
Official Historian

Something to check into if you need a new crank. Since the AMC's are externally balanced and the 304 and 360 have the same stroke, the crank might even be the same.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 09:30 AM

Will, are you sure on the crank being the same stroke?
Years back when I had a 304 I was told the 360 was a differant bore & stroke but same block and you could make a 304 into a 360 with changing the crank and bore. That was 15 years ago so my memory or source may be wrong.

Another thing I forgot in my first post make sure you check the cam, lifters and rocker arms real close for wear if you plan on reusing them. Make sure you find the reason for the oil problem too check the timing cover tolerances for the oil pump gears.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 01:39 PM

According to the information on Jeep Tech pages 304 and 360 , the stroke is the same at 3.44". The bore is different for each. The 401 has a different bore and stroke than the 304 and 360.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 02:11 PM
Official Historian

If you look in the (I think) Chilton repair manual for the FSJ, it shows different stroke for the 304 and 360 but it is wrong. They are both 3.44". You can do the math to double check it too. That was the only info I had at the time I did my swap. I was doing it to get a longer stroke. If I had known they were the same, I probably would have just rebuilt the 304. When this one wears out, I might rebuild the 304 and put the 360 heads on it. The 304 with 150K miles got around 15mpg. This 360 gets about 10-11.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 02:52 PM
Old Hand

304,360 and 401 all are interchangeable cranks. I believe the 401 has a steel crank
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 03:24 PM

if you put a 401 crank into a 360 block, you will make a stroked 38x something!

304 and 360 are the same, 401 is a different stroke, as well as being a forged steel crank ( along with the rods)

its pretty chepa to have the crank turned Tom, and have the bearing caps line bored or alighn honed whatever it is that they do, and everything else being good itll be fine!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode