OT Jeep Warrenty - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

OT Jeep Warrenty

Okay, I have this here '02 TJ that is my daily as my CJ takes a new shape.

So far, I have had the through-out bearing replaced (for no reason as the noise was still there - silly mechanics [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]), the AC knob (plastic) break, and the heat sheild added, all at their expense. Today, I got an offer from them to add to my coverage.

They are offering warrenty work on EVERY system (AC, Steering, Suspension, etc..) except for consumables (brake pads, clutch disc, etc..). They want an extra $85 a month for a year to cover my Jeep for 5 years.

My question. Does this sound worth it? I'm still learning about this whole warrenty stuff since my family hasn't bought a new vehicle since '84. The warrenty also covers rental cars if the repairs take more than a day, meals and hotel costs if I'm more than 100 miles from home and the Jeep breaks.

Input?

Thanks,
Fritz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 11:42 PM

Re: OT Jeep Warrenty

Sounds like they're pretty good about warranty work. I haven't had such luck with dealers...

I bought a similar warranty with my slightly used Nissan pickup for about 1000 dollars. I found a leak at the top of my tranny and took it in to the dealer, thinking it would be fixed free of charge. As far as I could tell, it looked like the rubber boot wasn't sealing, no biggie. Unfortunately, I didn't read the fine print that mentioned a $100 deductible in the coverage. Oh well, I thought still not a big deal. I needed it fixed and figured it wouldn't be anywhere near $100, so I let them do it. Went to pick it up and it cost me, can you guess? $98! Yep, 98 bucks for some rtv sealant. And not a very clean job of it, either. GRRRRR!

Maybe you could just set aside that $85 a month and keep it on hand in case something comes up. That way if nothing breaks, you've got it to spend on goodies. Course that might be hard to do! If you're worried about it, read ALL the info regarding coverage and deductibles first. If you're getting good, honest service from your dealer, and the warranty offers reasonable terms it might be worth it.

As for me, In the future, I'm taking my truck to the mechanic down the road first to get an idea of what's wrong. I started doing some work for this guy recently and he's a good one. If it's simple, or not covered under warranty, he's the man. Of course, he doesn't touch the Jeep! No one does...

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 08:34 AM
gman

Fritz, having worked in a jeep dealership for years, I can tell you the warranty are worth it as long as the dealer doesn't bend you over on the price.You said 5yrs, but not how many miles? that's a big deal and will drasticly affect the price.Also is it a factory warranty ie;chrysler, because thats where the problems are. If it's an aftermarket warranty it's usualy not worth it because as the other gentlman said they'll nickle and dime you to death. that said $1000 or so for a 5yr warranty is not a bad deal as they go for up to 2000. If you have an ac problem or your header cracks as they are both known to do it will pay for itself. good luck gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 08:45 AM
Way Outta Control

1. $5,100 for 5 years bumper to bumper coverage would be not too bad.
2. But on a Jeep?
3. I'd think the insuring agent would cancle the policy the minunite that Jeep went off pavement in a parking lot.
4. So... Put the money in the bank and save for an new engine.
5. You've got depreciation to think about!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 01:50 PM

I would get the warranty if it is from Chrysler. If it is an aftermarket warranty I would not. It will only cost you about a grand to get five years. This about average I believe for the additional coverage. If it is a factory warranty it should be just as easy to get it fixed as if it was the standard warranty. Make sure it is a bumper to bumper and there are no deductibles. Also double-check the mileage it covers. I have the extended warranty on my truck from GM and it cost me about a grand as well and it is bumper to bumper. I am glad I have it because if anything goes wrong it is covered.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 03:27 PM
Can't Get Enough

My wife and I were the guine pigs for ford when they brought out the new front wheel drive lincolns. We bought an 89 continental, but we also paid an extra ?? $600 ?? for the extended warranty. Best money I ever spent. Replaced two head gaskets, one suspension system ($2100), tranny, and numerous other poorly designed/installed/built parts.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Leve,

Its $1020 for five years of coverage, I only pay for the first year. The milage thing though is interesting as I think its only 30,000 and I already have 16,000 on it since I bought it new in April with 10 on the odometer!

I don't know if its worth it. One month's payment gets me a factory service manual, so who know....

Fritz
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 10:35 PM
Keyboard Implanted

When we bought our 99 the DC extended warranty added only $20/month to the payments. It covered everything for 5 yrs/60,000 miles. Unfortunately my wife has already put 65k on it and we bought it in May of 99. It covered everything not just the major items. We leased this vehicle and totally know that we are going to own it at the end. The mileage penalty will exceed the residual value of the vehicle. The total cost is about the same.

Looking back ...I probably would have spent the cost of the warranty IF I had THEM fix all that they did. IF I didn't have the warranty ....I would have done it myself ...or lived with it (things like the cable that releases the seat for rear access having "issues" and such).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode