Rebuilding a 2.5L? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 07:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Rebuilding a 2.5L?

I was thinking about breaking down the 2.5L during christmas holidays and replacing any worn parts... Its only got "65k" on it but I'm not positive if thats correct... it smokes alittle at higher RPMs so I was wondering what all should I check? Thanks ya'll [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 08:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Rebuilding a 2.5L?

If your doin the rebuild and want a cam for it check e-bay. I picked up a mopar per. cam and lifter set for 55$ brand new in box from dealer out west it's a discontuned item. 4wd.com also had a header for 150$ thats the cheapest i've seen. have you done any mods to the eng.you curently have? i'm plannin to bolt on a throttle body from a 4.0 and convert to an electric fan but not rebuild until i've got another block.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 10:09 AM
Keyboard Implanted

If you don't see a .450 cam offered on ebay ...here's the dealer that was selling quite a few of them. They don't have many of the .440 cams around ...but the .450 is apparently abundant ..it also conforms closest to the stock profile except in lift so you should be able to pass any emissions test as long as the rest of the system is in good shape (99 stock specs).
Koller Dodge They will sell you a cam & lifter kit for $49.95 plus $19.95 48 state shipping.

btw- if you could figure out how to install a 1.7:1 rocker on there ...you'ld end up with the same lift (I don't know if this can be done easily)

I too just bought a junque' engine for rebuilding. I don't know if I'm going to go to the point of buying the bigger valves and having the head work done to fit them or not. They too are available at this dealer at a reasonable price

John Dorfinger (dorfs) knows much about these engines. If I recall correctly, he says that you can offset grind the crank to fit cheap Chevy 305 pistons and rods and slightly lengthen the stroke as well as manipulate your compression.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 06:53 PM

There are a few things i'ld look for.
How's the oil pressure? At start? When hot? Can you get someone to run an exaust analysis? If not, check out the usual things, or have a machine shop you trust look it over
All bearings, rings, wear on the cylinder walls. Cam lobe heights, valve wear and carbon buildup, valve seats, timing chain play, any other clearances.
Definitely replace the valve seals while it's open. i've been told there is some solution you can put into the combustion chamber that completely dissolves all carbon buildup. Not sure if this is true.
My first guess on the high rpm smoke would be the oil control piston rings if the smoke is grey/black. Unless it's fuel related.
Good luck.

Scott...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode