Front D44 Swap - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Front D44 Swap

I think that I may have found a fron axel to swap into my Wrangler. But I have a few questions I was hopping that some of you who run FSJ axels may be able to help me out with
The axel I am looking at is a front axel from a 74 Cherokee, it has 3.07 gears in it, 6 lugs, and has lock out hubs.
What I am wondering is, How wide is it?
And what is the spline count, would this axel have 30 spline inners.
I want to use the rear D44 from a later model FSJ in my YJ.. Will this front be way off as far as how wide, or where they always about the same. And also being that it is 6 lug, would I have a hard time converting a "newer" D44 to 6 lug. Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 12:04 PM
Aprentice

Re: Front D44 Swap

Unless you plan on changing transfer cases the pumpkin is on the wrong side on this unit. You would be better off with a later model front end too. The advantage to a '74 is flat-top knuckles and the right bearing to convert to a CJ bolt pattern by simply changing hubs and rotors. As long as you find an '80 or newer without the vacuum disconnect, it should work fine. The width is very close to the stock wrangler width.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 01:09 PM

what he said! as long as its a narrow track cherokee, if its a wide track cherokee its several inches wider than the stock YJ axles!

fender flares=wide, no flares=wagoneer width

but what are you talking aconverting a later FSJ dana 44 to 6 lug? they were all 6 lug after 1974?

I know there is alot of this ionfo floating around on here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Frosty, This Axel will go in front of an NP205 Xcase with the output on the passangers side.
I did not know that the mid 70's had flat tops. That is a nice suprise, makes me feel like I am getting a pretty good deal on this unit. That may just be the kick in the pants I will need later on to do a SOA.
I don't think I compleatly understand what you mean by the bolt pattern changes. Are you saying that I could get rotors and hubs from a CJ that would bolt to this axel? Thanks for the info.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 05:59 PM

Hubs and rotors from Ford F150 70's thru 96 except 88-89 witch are different.Go on JeepGods site He has a bunch of info. How much was it?I just picked up the same axle for a $100.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 07:55 PM
Can't Get Enough

Here is an e-mail sent to me by a Mr. Daniel Pawlak. It is in regards to the FSJ D-44 swap. I am using a '76, as is mentioned in his reply. It is long, so bear with me.

"Hi, bear with me this may be a litttle long winded. Fullsize jeeps and chevy pickups and blazers both used two types of spindles for their 44 (and 10-bolt GM) fronts with disc brakes in the 70's. The only notable difference was the size of the inner wheel bearings used, hence the the spindles varied by the diameters of the inner wheel bearing spindle races. Most of the early ones used a spindle with a 1.7812 ID inner wheel bearing, Timken part # LM603049. This is the spindle you need, chances are good you have this spindle on your '76. If the inner wheel bearing diameter is larger than that you will have to get a hold of the earlier spindles to work right with the ford hubs. The spicer # for the correct spindles is 706528X. You will use the same rotors and wheel studs as the fullsize Bronco and F150 would, you can tell the parts store they are for a 1980 application if they must know, but they should be all the same all the way up through the 90's. Fullsize Jeeps and chevys also shared the same GM style caliper and caliper bracket arrangements and these should work fine with the Ford set-up. I use GM caliper mounting brackets with the chevy part #s 14023429 for the left one and 14023430 for the right one, but Jeep brackets should be the same but may carry Jeep #s instead of GM ones. Here's a final tip, GM calipers are available in 2 piston sizes and are interchangeable on GM caliper brackets, a 2 5/8" piston is the normal size and what you'll find on the front of the fullsize Jeep axles, but a 3" piston model is available if you ask the parts houses for the front calipers off a '80 or so Chevy Suburban with the large rear brakes option. This will net you some larger pistoned calipers that will stop bigger tires a little better, albeit at a little more of a cost. I never had problems with the master cylinder not being big enough on the vehicles I've converted to the bigger calipers in the past either. Just thought I'd let you know in case you were interested. Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions, thanks!"

The correct FSJ year for the right spindle to adapt ford rotors is '74 - '76. I think flat top knuckles were available from '76 on, but I couldn't find my notes to prove it! [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Hope that helps!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 05:56 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Thanks for the great advise on this subject. I have not gotten this axel yet. It is just a possiblity, I wanted to check and see what I could find out about it before I plunked down the money. It sounds to me like a good deal, and I am thinking I am just might plunk the money down for it. But... Can anyone tell me if it has 30 spline inners. I know that over the years there have been 30 spline and 19 spline versions. I don't want a 19 spline. Does anyone know how many splines this 74 Chero had?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 06:18 AM

if your talking about the side gear splines, I think it should be 30, but in my head 1974 is pretty close to where they changed over, does it have disk brakes and open knuckles?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode