Using TJ as part time tow rig - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 09:59 PM
77rigid

Using TJ as part time tow rig

I was thinking of getting a TJ with 4.0 as my daily driver.It will also need to tow my CJ 2 or 3 times a year for no more than 250/300 miles on 16'tandem axle trailer .I was wondering if the TJ would be capable and would it be safe with the TJ being short wheel base.I have been using my 90 Ford Ranger 2wd/4.0 auto and it has no problem pulling it.I am needing something with a little more room than the truck(bucket seats/reg cab)to haul me/wife/son.Let me know what everyone thinks.I am most concerned about the wheel base issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 10:23 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Using TJ as part time tow rig

I would not even try it. I have a 16 foot tandem UTILITY trailer, much lighter than a car hauler type. I move the trailer around with it, but it makes it light in the frontend without any weight. Fact is that tj is made for a maximum hitch weight of 300 lbs. That is not much. It almost scares me that you would concider it. Just flat tow it. [img]images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

I did not even mention stoping with it,, It would probably get it moving ok, but what about a sudden stop. Heck my Tj on same trailer pushes my explorer around during breaking .... Scarry [img]images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 02:55 AM

WHOA, Scary is not even close to what you would have with a CJ behind a TJ on a trailer!!! [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
I have a half ton Chevy that I use to tow the CJ when I have to. It has a Vortec 350 w/ SM465. It pulls it no prob. My truck just happens to have the big brake package on it so it will stop like nobody's business! Like the above post said, your TJ may get it rolling but there is NO WAY that is would stop it in this county!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 08:30 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have pulled my 72 Commando on a car trailer behind my 99 Grand Cherokee with the V8. It pulls and brakes very well, without any problems, But I couldn't imagine the same trailer behind my roommates TJ. I agree with the others that the powerplant is up to the challenge but the brakes might not be beefy enough.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 07:35 PM
77rigid

These are the answers I expected.I had found a good deal on a TJ with almost no miles.I want the TJ but already have 3 CJ's and needed a good reason to bring this home.Oh well,thanks for the advice.I am back to looking at full size trucks and suv's again.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 09:15 PM
Official Historian

Since you have 3 CJ's, imagine towing another CJ with any of yours. It would be about the same.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode