What holds the hardtopto the w/s frame? 87 YJ - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 08:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

What holds the hardtopto the w/s frame? 87 YJ

Hey thanks guys for all the help on the t/c-Trans swap info.. Now for an easy question. THe PO of my jeep had installed the hardtop about a day before I picked it up and seemed to have lost most of the hardware. He used undersize sheet metal screws to attach the top to the windshield frame, and it's wrong. Most of the screws have fallen out already, and the top shifts back and forth when you are in the rough stuff.
What is the factory fastener in this location? And are there supposed to be nutserts or threads in the windshield frame for real bolts, or is it sheet metal screws into sheet metal?
Also if anyone has a spare pair of black sunvisors, those were conveniently forgotten also. As well as half a Bestop windshield rail. I got two Convertible tops and a bikini top, along with the factory hardtop and full doors, so I've got plenty of options in the summertime. For snowplowing the hardtop will stay. I just gotta fasten it down, strip the dark tint off the rear window so I can back up, and possibly rob a rear window wiper off something.
I got a Bestop manual with the jeep, but no owners manual. Need a source for that, also.
Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 10:35 PM

Re: What holds the hardtopto the w/s frame? 87 YJ

Mine (87 YJ as well!) has sheet metal screws too. I've seen other posts about how you end up with larger & larger screws until you end up replacing the frame...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 11:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have threads in the WS frame on mine, (stock) 1993 YJ.
Holds up perfect (so far).
For the Bestop, R U looking for soft top owners manual, or hardtop? I have ST manuals for my SuperTop, if they can be of any use. If not, try at their site... I downloaded all kinds of manuals from there...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 08:48 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

A clarification.. I'm looking for a Jeep YJ 1987 owner's manual. I've got the Bestop soft top manual.
(Also looking for a pair of sunvisors..and one half of the Bestop windshield attaching rail.)

Sounds like it might be time to go borrow my buddy's nutsert kit. If I run it like it is it is gonna bash itself apart.
Thanks for the replies!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 09:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

You will need to get bigger sheet metal screws or a self tapping screw. Be carefulnot to over tighten them as they will strip.I'm pretty sure all yj's are like this.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 10:12 AM

This is what I have done to mine, (87 YJ bought new). It also came with a very inadequate system for holding the top to the frame. But it did have the 6ea 3/8" bolts holding the top to the tub. I have learned over the years that having the top fastened to the windshield frame as well as the tub created the small cracks in the radius where the top drops to the tub behind the door.

What I did was to take the top off and remove the front seal ordered a new one and installed it. (very simple). Then when I installed the top back on I left the frame screws out. This allowed the top to move with the roll of the tub, (and they do flex) letting the top stay flat with the tub. I have not experienced any more cracking in the top after this.

The top has a good seal on the frame even though it can slide laterally. There is no water, air, or dust leak. But you will need to make sure the seal area on top of the frame has a good compressible pliant rubber to make this work.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 10:04 AM
Journeyman

I just installed a hard top recently and asked for advice. If you do a search under "first time installation of hard top" You'll find about 10 different ideas and instructions. Even my favorite, holding down the hard top with c-clamps thanks to CJ7TAZ.

Mike
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 08:55 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Taking my top off every summer and putting it back on for winter wobbled out the holes in the ws frame...look in some of the catalogues (Quadratec, 4x4Wharehouse...) they have a kit that installs in a few minutes that will ditch the Torx bolts on the tub and replace them with thumbscrews (sounds more painful than it is) and replaces the 5 sheetmetal screws with a pair of cam clamps...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode