stubborn rotor on cj - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 08:48 PM
balanced

stubborn rotor on cj

Hi
I am pulling the front end apart to put in new wheel bearings and I am stuck. I have removed the caliper, the lock-out hub. I removed both nuts and the washers. The rotor just won't budge. Are there any old tricks that anyone has up there sleve? I am pulling very hard on the rotor w/my feet against the leaf spring, and it is not seeing it my way yet.
I don't think it is supposed to be this hard. Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks, Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 09:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: stubborn rotor on cj

Get a big BRASS hammer and whack it a few times. This will break the corrosion loose and allow you to remove the rotor.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 03:21 PM

Big Fing hammer and wack it a coule times, all direction and adventually you'll beark it loose.

BarrelRoll
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 04:05 PM
Old Hand

Aren't the rotors attached to the hub via the studs? I thought you take the hub off press the studs out and then the rotor will come off.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 05:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

It's been my unfortunate experience with this circumstance that the reason the rotor/bearings will not come off the spindle is because it has seized to the spindle.
this can happen if you drive for extended periods with poor or no grease in the wheel bearings.
Yes the only way to get the spindle off is to hit it, hit from the backside on the top, then the bottom until it comes off.
Chance are (If my suspicions are correct) your inner bearing and seal will remain on the spindle while everything else comes off (rotor, outer wheel bearing).
Now before you ask how to get a seized bearing off the spindle know this; if you are successful it won't matter, the heat created by all that friction expands the spindle making it useless.
You will be able to remove the bolts that hold the spindle to the outer knuckle and (hopefully if the spindle isn't totally warped) remove the spindle.
I would suggest replacing the whole setup.
Spindle, Hubm rotor, bearings and inner seal.
I tried in vain to re-use worn parts (one of each in all combinations) only to find out that they just wear out quickly leaving you working on it (outer knuckles, spindle, etc... All the time.
Yes its expensive but fixing it all IMHO is the only way to do it.

Good luck I hope I am wrong.

Big_MARK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode