How long will it last? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 07:37 PM
sgdane

How long will it last?

1984 CJ7
How much mileage should I expect out of a stock 4.2?
It sat for about 3 years before I got it. The drive line has 110,000 miles on it. The last 4,000 were put on by me and I thought it felt weak, but I am use to a 5.9 as a daily driver. The body is off for painting, so I thought now is a good time to think about a rebuilt. I do want to stick with the 258, any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 05:57 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: How long will it last?

Before you rebuild, you should really make sure the motor needs it. Do a compression test on the motor. Or better yet a leak down test.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 04:26 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I wouldn't feel bad freshening up the 258 a little with 110K on the ticker. As stated above, check it out and see what it might need. The 258 is a great little motor and should last you many years if you take care of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 06:09 PM
pig

I have an 84CJ7 my rebuilt 258 blew a piston I decided to put a 304 in, it's the easiest and cheapest swap going. Then after doing more and more research I found that most ppl who upgraded to a 304 would end up upgrading to a 350 later so I bought a 350 before I even put the 304 in. Ill probablly put the 304 in till I get all my pieces parts together I will eventually end up dumping the 304 for a 350 loose the T176 trans and put in a T18 out of a Ford truck , keep the Dana 300Im puting Dana 44 front and rear although Im probablly going to up the rear to a Dana 60. I have 2-258 motors for sale in my local TradinTimes for 100.00 each and got 2 calls on them no one showed up yet I am constantlly hearing about blown 258's all the time if there such good motors why are there so many bad one's ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode