AXEL INFO PLEASE!!!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 01:37 PM
1stjeep

AXEL INFO PLEASE!!!!!

Is there a OEM swap for a two piece axel amc20?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 01:46 PM
Old Hand

Re: AXEL INFO PLEASE!!!!!

I believe aftermarket only.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 02:52 PM
1stjeep

well does anyone know how wide a full size dana 44 from a ford mid 70's verses a amc20 or where i can find the specs on rearends and frontends thanks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 03:37 PM

http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/convaxle/ This might help, check it out.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 12:32 AM
pig

I just went through this about a couple a months ago my head is still swiming with all the info and possibilitys what an education, this was harder than doing my income tax (long form) Look up Jeepgod . com he has
some excellent info (hard to beleive he's a jar head ,way to smart, wonder how he snuck in) Anyway I learned a little and I know that if your gonna stick with the AMC20 you want one piece axles I ended up with Dana 44 front and rear out of a 77 cherokee but Im gonna to end up putting a Dana 60 in the rear. I did a lot of research and seems like almost all the pro Jeep dudes have this set up there must be a reason (I even half way understand why) . any way good luck and fasten your seat belt. My opinion is do it right the first time theres no cheaping out cause seems like everyone who trys eventually ends up doing it right and wasteing a lot of $$$ trying to be cheap ( FYI Im not rich)

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 05:21 AM
Keyboard Implanted

If you are looking for a good swap for the 20, you should be looking for Waggie rear D44's. Probably the most swapped in axel.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 08:42 AM

The only 100% "bolt in" to CJ correct wide track width OE swap to replace 2pc axleshaft type AMC20 with a 1pc axleshaft type... is a D44 from a 1986 CJ-7. Another almost bolt in is D44 from a DJ. These are same width a CJ narrow track but are set for spring over mounting. (I don't think dirve shaft mods are required for either)

some random thoughts... the more than you asked for part [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Like said - Wagoneer axles are common swap.
Also good canidates are SJ Cherokees. In std trim, these have same width as Wagoneer (so-called narrow track). In Chief trim these have same width as J trucks (so-called wide track).
Watch years... front D44 started in 1974 and disc brakes added a few years later. 1980 changed from D44 rear to AMC20HD rear (stronger shaft hsg and 1pc axleshafts). I think 1980 was also change to dirver side drop front. Many FSJs have rear axle housings with the diff offset about 5" to passenger side regardless if Quadra-Trac or not (can't remember if this is for all or for just J trucks or just for certain years - sorry).
SJ wide track and J truck are about 5" wider than SJ narrow track and Wagoneer axles which are about 5" wider than CJ wide track which are about 5" wider than CJ narrow track.
CJ narrow and wide track have same spring mount spacing (width). FSJ spring mount spacing is about 5" wider. Simple to move spring pearches in for rear but front usually requires springs to be moved out.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2002, 03:27 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I thought dana 44 have a 30 spline shaft and a amc20 has a 29 spline. I'm not certain about this but if it is you can get the splines cut down to a 29 by a good machine shop anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode