electric fan - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

electric fan

will a elec. fan cool a v8? (16 inch moves 2100 cfm.)
had a fan blade bent an no stroud an it never got before.but i was getting worried about the blade coming off so i tough i would try this i mounted it as a pusser instead of a puller. it said not to, but it sure opened the front of the moter up nice an if fit perfict in front.
started it up, let it get hot, tunred the fan on an it cooled right down, but it is only 40 degrees

duke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 01:05 PM

Re: electric fan

what does the weather get like in the summer? really hot? I know in ca, driving you would be fine, lots of air moving, but slow crawling on a trail I would guess that it would heat up. doesn't really hurt to try though, if it doesn't work, put the old setup back on (with a new fan of course)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

i didnt throw away the old one, just put way back in the corner. an yes it gets hot in kansas 30+ days over 100 this summer.but if you were crawling your engine is at low rpm an not pulling much air the fan is running wide open.
i am sure somebody has done this befor

duke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 06:04 PM

Well I have put one on my cj with a 258 and it has done very well. bumping around on the trails it stays on and keeps it cool. I have it hooked to a 3 way switch. on-off-themostat If i am going slow, i just flip it to on and keep it cool. should work for a v-8 with the right fan. btw, mine is a puller.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 06:29 AM

Duke,
I have done a double fan on my 360, one pusher on the rear right and a pusher on the front left with an adjustable thermo. Only problem I had was one day on the beach in deep sand, no breeze and hot(95-100). The fans were on constantly and my thermo housing malfunctioned/melted. Then it puked the coolant and overheated. I have since replaced the themo housing and things are back to normal for every day driving, but I still don't know if it was the thermo housing failure or the constant running of the fans that overheated the thermo housing that caused the overheating. Unfortunately I haven't been offroad in the same conditions since the problem. I'm still abit leary if I'm moving enough air cause the fans still run the majority of the time.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 08:05 AM

I set up a buddies CJ5 that has a 304 with a pusher fan. When going slow off road he just leaves it run all the time and it hasn't overheated, it acually runs cooler then it did before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode