Dana 30 SOA - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

Dana 30 SOA

I was under the Jeep this weekend trying to determine what I need to do for a SOA lift. The rear is very straight forward and I found a guy who will weld on new perches (MORE) and set up my pinion angle for $80. Is this a good deal? I don't have access to a welder.

The front looks a little more complicated. I noticed that the passenger's side perch is cast into the diff housing. It's a Dana 30 with a passenger side drop (supposedly from a Scout II). Is it as easy as cutting the perch and rotating it or is there something special that I'm missing?

Should I just save myself the headache and find a Dana 44? I assume this would be the better way to go and I would end up upgrading to the 44 in the long run anyway. If so, where should I look for a D44 psd? I would like to keep the width the same as it is right now? Did Scout II's come with D44 passenger side drops? I plan on going to a few junkyards and looking around for one that I could rebuild and still be able to drive the Jeep while doing so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 10:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Dana 30 SOA

When I did my SOA I modified the perch (opened it up a little) to fit on top of the housing where it needed to go. Than welded it on. Never had any problems with it.

What is he doing with the ring and pinion?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Setting up the pinion angle, but he also installs R&P and locker for $125. This obviously doesn't include parts.

What did you do for steering after the SOA on the Dana 30 - Dropped pitman arm?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 01:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I already had a Drop pitman arm so I left everything the same. I now have a new drag link that is homebuilt with heim joints. It has a slight bend to keep everything lined up good. I have a matching tie rod with heims also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode