CD-player & Jeep - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 06:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

CD-player & Jeep

SInce I found out, from a confidential source, that my Christmas present from my girlfriend is ging to be a car CD-player, I wanted to ask y'all what are your experiences?
I'm affraid it might jump too much (the Jeep), making it (close to) impossible to play a SeeDee without interrupting every 3 seconds.
I wanted to inform my source to suggest her not to buy it, if it's going to jump too much... But I don't know... I know my discman doesn't stop... But it has 40sec ESP, and I don't think car stereos have it...
It should be Pioneer or Sony, as I was told (of course, the mid-lower class, not those $1k beasts...)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 06:54 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: CD-player & Jeep

I just put a Pioneer CD player in my 87 YJ (not a $1K deal either, about $120.00 unit from good ol' WalMart). It plays just fine; of course I have not challenged it yet on any real bumps, just highway and light dirt road stuff.

I like it alot, just need a better speaker/amp system now.

V/R [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 06:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah, that's what I ment. That'd be the price range. So, basically, street bumps, irregularities, etc, things you find on the city-streets, it doesn't skip?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 06:58 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I have a mid range CD player in my YJ, and it worked fine. I put it in about a year and a half ago, and it is just about at the end of its life cycle. Don't exepect a CD player to last as long in a Jeep as it would in a car. Mine life was shorted by the 6 months of running without a top. But I never really had any problems with skipping. Hope that helps.
One think I would suggest is getting a unit with a remote, I find that the buttons are very small, and the ride in a jeep it is hard to hit the button that you want to hit when driving. ALso the location isn't the greates, you have to really take your eyes off the road to adjust anything. I just used a little bit of velcro and stuck my remote to the dash. Works great. Good luck, and Merry Christmas
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 07:01 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Mine life was shorted by the 6 months of running without a top.

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you mean? It bothers the player when driving topless ( [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] ) ?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 07:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hasn't yet. Plays great in fact. Just pulled out the owners manual; Pioneer Super Tuner III. I just used the mounting kit that comes with the player, no elaborate mounting scheme; works great. I don't know how they get past the bump stuff. The manual doesn't say, but I would guess they come with the anti-skip features, just like the wokman.

Remember, 180db is equivalent to a Rocket Launching pad noise level.

V/R [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 07:10 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Dido on the remote. The Pioneer I put in has a remote plug on the back side. I am thinking about putting one in. Did you have to do anything special for your remote? I'm thinking about one that selects Picture-In-Picture, just jokin'. Is there like a huge selection of remotes at astronomical prices out there, or is the remote hunt pretty straight forward?

V/R [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 02:39 PM
Enthusiast

Since CD players don't like rain (killed 1.8 of mine, still plays 1 fm channel) I reccomend a marine unit. They cost about $150 for a jensen but you shouldn't have to buy a new one as often. My current cd player is a sony and I have a marine cover over it, but it's still dying.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 03:04 PM

I got a WalMart Pioneer special for X-mas last year, I installed it in a Tuffy console and it's working great. It took me about 1 week to get used to where the buttons are and I don't have to look down to change settings anymore. I haven't had any problem with water getting in mine yet. I have a Pioneer with remote in my car, I like the remote there, I just don't know where I would keep the it in the Jeep. Besides with the Tuffy console I left the crappy old radio in the stock location and so far it has detered the thief's.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 03:27 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
CD-player &amp; Jeep

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay......Oil &amp; Water [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img], who's next?

Actually, I've had a decent headunit go for several years with water pouring into it and dust everywhere. I juist took it apart every few months and cleaned off the sensitive parts. Albeit it was a tape system, you should be fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode