O/T Super Swamper Thornbirds. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2002, 03:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

O/T Super Swamper Thornbirds.

HI ALL !

I am going to purchase new tires and I was wanting to get the super swamper thornbirds. Has anybody out there had any good experiences with the SS thorn birds? Would they be good for mud, muddy rocks, snow, and sand also would they be good on the pavement too? [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2002, 03:30 PM
Pooh-Bah

Re: O/T Super Swamper Thornbirds.

When I had my CJ5 it had some 31" t'birds on it. The only thing I liked about them was the sidewall lugs, the tread gummed up too much and wouldn't clean out. I ended up using the side lugs more on the edges of the trail to get traction or to climb the side of ruts.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2002, 04:13 PM
JeepSage77

If you do a seach you'll find the overall consensus is that they are crap; the inner lugs are too close together so they dont self clean, they drive you all over the road, and basically look more aggressive than they actually are.
I've never owned a set (because of how many poor reviews I've heard), so maybe someone who ran them will have a better opinion. But generally, I think anyone on the board will kick ya in the nuts if you buy them. The TSLs or BFG MT's would be a better purchase.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2002, 04:17 PM

Honest opinion? Thornbirds do one thing very well: they look good. As far as performance goes....the only "All Terrain" tire that I've seen get stuck more was the original Goodyear Wrangler AT. Now I've never owned a set of Thornbirds (I've had several sets of the Wranglers, back when I was a kid and didn't know any better) but I've pulled out several guys that have, and wheeled around others. They don't seem to clear very well at all. Also, they have no siping, and don't do well on ice or wet pavement either. Overall, I think they fall into the realm of "Poser tire".

Now on the other hand, no tire is going to do EVERYTHING well. However, the consensus of this board is that the Goodyear MT/R is about as close to an all-around off-road tire as you can get. They have one big drawback--they are spendy! You might want to look at the BFG AT/KO or MT. Pro-comp makes a decent tire, and of course the rest of Interco's line (swampers and boggers) are excellent if slightly short-lived. There are some off-breed tires that are pretty good as well. I ran Hankooks for about 6 years and was overall very happy with them, except on wet pavement this last year when they were getting very worn. I'm running Trail-mark MTs now, and they are good, and inexpensive.

I'm sure you'll get some other responses to this, but I hate to see anyone shell out the money for a tire that just isn't what it ought to be. Let us know what you decide, and good luck!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2002, 06:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have thornbirds on my jeep and they don't do to bad but i wouldn't recomend them for a jeep.I've seen them work well on a heavier fullsize,but to get them to grip i need to go dowm to 6 psi (they are a very stiff carcuss).Most of the terrain around here is loamy or ledges with some gravel.The more i use them the more i like them althought they do suck in the mud. I haven't had any problems on pavement and we just got 4-5 inches of snow and also driven in rain on the h-way with no ill effects. I did have a hard time balancing a couple of them though. I hope this has helped you.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2002, 07:51 PM
Enthusiast

The Thornbirds are the greatest tire ever made! You can drive upside down with as good of traction as they get! The best size would be the 35x14.50x15. In fact, I have a set I would sell you....cheap! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Actually, I do have a set and I cant give them away. They were honestly the worst tire I have ever owned. Poor in mud, poor in rain, really poor in snow, and I really think they come from the factory square! The only good thing is the wonderful massage you get from the vibration they put out! I do like the term "Poser Tire"-very fitting!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2002, 08:32 PM

Haha. I agree with the above post by christian totally. I hate those tires. On or off road. They sure do look good on those trucks with 20" of lift and chrome shocks now don't they? [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Actually I did see one set work pretty good. I bet the dude cut at least 5 lbs. of rubber out of each tire.
Buy a tire you can really use. Ask yourself what you are going to do with it. 99% street. Get and A/T. 50/50 on/off road. Get a good M/T (bfg or g/y). Mostly offraod......tsl, sx or bogger.
Thats my .02.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2002, 09:44 PM

Sure they look cool..........NOISEY AS HELL going down the road........there's a kid in town here that has some......I can hear him coming from the next town over......lol
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2002, 10:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

put em on a full size truck with enough power to really be able to turn em they work great. we have had them on two different dodge rams that were built for mud running we could not get either one stuck.i had my wrangler buried in the mud so it was sitting on the frame and the ram had to be used to free me and then ran right thru the same spot. but it had a lot of horses under the hood. but i do agree that they are truly worthless on ice and snow my wrangler would plow thru snow drifts headlite high and the ram with the t-birds got stuck big time. it also slide all over the place once it got cold as they are a hard slick tire.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2002, 10:57 PM

There's a reason why they're called "Thorn Turds". Definitely not Interco's best idea. As said above, you can find lots of tires that perform better and are quieter.

Ken Linzmeyer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode