'87 YJ.. What are my Trans/TC options?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2002, 12:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

\'87 YJ.. What are my Trans/TC options??

I recently picked up an '87 YJ off of Ebay with tons of miles but an excellent 4.0 liter six and decent body/axles, frame, interior, etc. I just got finished with installing an extra leaf in the front to get it back up to a decent height, and I've got my Western lookalike plow frame almost all built and just need to install the plow pump assembly. The truck is to do backup snowplow work while my GMC gets a new transmission, and might be my daily driver once I have it sorted out. The carb is a little whacky at idle cold but as it warms up it is fine, altho it diesels when shut off.
Today's big problem is the transmission and transfer case. It is a five speed, and in fifth gear there is a rattle/tick that at first sounded like an exhaust shield but is definitely fifth gear related. Also, reverse needs to be held in or it will tend to pop out of gear. THe transfer case, while quiet when I picked up the jeep, now exhibits a clicking/ticking noise only when in four wheel drive, high or low. The speed seems to be much higher than driveshaft speed, so I don't think it is a universal joint going bad. In 2WD, 1-4 gear, it acts perfectly normal.
I wouldn't hesitate to tear into the gearboxes, but I have found in many instances replacement with a good used unit ends up being much less expensive. What are my options behind the 4.0 six? Is it possible to install a better unit from an earlier jeep in the place of these aluminum units that don't seem too strong for plowing? I am looking for a bolt on swap, without too much driveshaft work.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!please forgive my typos and long post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2002, 01:27 PM

Re: \'87 YJ.. What are my Trans/TC options??

87 YJ with a 5-speed is a Pugeot BA-10/5. This is a HORRIBLE transmission. You can upgrade the tranny to an AX-15, the 5-speed they put in the late-89 and on YJ, XJ, and MJ. It's a decent transmission and it will hold up under the pressure of plowing no problem. Try This Page on the swap out of a cherokee (Fairly similar deal) and This Article just gives some general info on the whole deal. Hope this helps, it's not a real tough swap as long as you've got some ide of what you're doing, and you'll have a much better tranny, IMO.

P.S. - The First article seems pricey. He spent way too much money on the tranny, I picked up a '93 AX-15 with 70k on it at the boneyard or $350 about 2 years ago.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2002, 01:33 PM

Oh, I also forgot to mention that it's an 87, and it's carbed, and therfore you have the 4.2L Six. They didn't introduce the 4.0L until 91, when Mopar ditched the old Renix MPI and created their own MPI for the 4.0L HO. Just thought I'd let you know now, it'll save complications later [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2002, 01:59 PM
Way Outta Control

1. Welcome to the forum.
2. Thanks for completing your user profile:
3. Read the New Posters Message at the top of the forum.
4. Participate! Two brains are better'n one!
5. I'll let others talk about the Transmission swap.. I ain't an expert on YJ's! [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 06:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I agree with Sub.Asslt. It should have the 258 in it.
I have an '89. Also has the BA/10. My reverse pops out also. Not a big deal for me, but would be if you spend a lot of time plowing I guess.
As for 5th gear, can you really use it, especially with a plow?? I've had mine for two years, and have put it in 5th probably twice. I would recommend the AX-15 swap, for a bolt in replacement. I'm not aware of the spline counts on them, but maybe you'll have to swap the x-fers also.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 08:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the answers so far.. I read the engine size off a sticker but I probably read it wrong.. So a 4.2 it is. It has thh aluminum valve cover if that helps any.

I think I'm going to be looking for the replacement tranny as I am using the jeep and hopefully I will have one located before it goes POP! Plowing is really a pretty abusive thing for tranny's when they aren't happy. As there is noise in 4WD mode also I am thinking that getting a tranny/transfer case unit would be the smartest, instead of swapping the different splined shaft for almost $200 in my case.
Which jeep products and years will have the correct setup in them? I assume it has to be the six cylinder version, not the four. Will the setup (Including transfer case)out of a Cherokee be the same as the setup from a Wrangler? Will my driveshafts work with the newer transfer case or will I need a custom rear one? Should I go and get the slip yoke eliminator setup as long as I am in there?
I guess what I need is a list of the parts I need and sources when installing in my particular '87 Wrangler. THe first article linked to talks about a Cherokee swap and it leaves a few questions unanswered for a Wrangler.
Many thanks again! This board is great!

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 08:32 PM

I have swapped in a Cherokee AX-15 into my '88. Pretty easy. I needed several brackets:T/C shifter, tranny shifter. Your skid plate may need to have two holes drilled for the AX-15. You also need a 23 spline T/C input shaft. I was able to get the entire 231 T/C for an additional $100 when I bought my AX-15 for $350. Also, you will need to redrill your T/C holes on the back of the tranny. Not a big deal. On Cherokees, they are at a 23 degree rotation, where the Wranglers are 13 degrees. Basically, you need to be able to rotate the T/C 10 degrees clock-wise. I made a template and hand drilled the new holes. I am sure glad I made the swap.

Good Luck, OS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode