christmas lights on a jeep - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2002, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

christmas lights on a jeep

here is the deal.

i have a wreath that i'd like to strap to the front on my jeep. i want to wrap it with lights. i thought about making my own car lights. does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2002, 10:01 AM

Re: christmas lights on a jeep

Lynden Transport has wreaths on all their Kenworths. Not sure where they get them. Two ideas on the lights though:

1. Most stores with Christmas decorations sell battery powered strings of lights, seems to be 35 lights is the largest string I've seen.

2. If you have a power inverter or want one, you can hook 110volt lights up to your jeep. Seems to me that the cheapest inverter I've seen was $55 at Fred Meyer.

Just a couple of ideas. Hope this helps!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2002, 10:09 AM
Old Hand

There's a guy that lives between my home and work that has a restored MB and trailer he out lines with lights and parks it in front of his house every Christmas season. And that's all his Christmas decorations consist of too. (He must be single) [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
I'll have to take some pics this year to share with ya'll. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2002, 10:33 AM
Way Outta Control

1. Buy:
a. 50 Green LED's
b. 50 White LED's
c. 50 Red LED's
d. A few feet of small shrink wrap.
e. 15' of 22agw wire.
f. 150 220 ohm dropping resistors.
2. Solder the droping resistors to the LED's.
3. Slip the srink wrap tubing ove the connections.
4. Solder the LED/Resistor pack to the wiring.
5. Hook 'er up to 12 volts!

or,

6. Use smaller dropping resistors and hook up to the feed point to the gas guage in the CJ instrument cluster... it's about 6 - 7 volts. Use 87ohm droping resistors.

or,

Get fancy and engineer in a regulator IC to regulate the voltage.

See, ya can have lots of fun! Start now! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2002, 10:46 AM
BigMan

My wife has a wreath with lights on it made for cars. It plugs into the cigerette lighter. Unfortunatly the place she got it doesn't carry them any more. We have a spare but she won't let me sell it. Last week I was looking for christmass lights online and came across a site that also had 12 volt light strings. That's what you need. I'l try to find it again but you can try putting that into a search engine and see what happens. i know they are out there.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2002, 10:55 AM
Old Hand

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
a. 50 Green LED's

[/ QUOTE ]

IMHO... That should be > a. 50 <font color="blue">Blue </font color> LED's < [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Sorry LEVE I couldn't resist. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2002, 12:54 PM

I have in the past used my poor Jeep as a Christmas ornament, [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] buy placing lights all around the profile with a wreath in the spare. I then powered it all with a 1000 watt converter I have in the motorhome. Just attached it to the battery and have 110V. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Works very well. You can pick one up at an RV store for nominal $175.00 OUCH [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]!!!!!!!! fortunately I already had one.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2002, 04:22 PM
Official Curmudgeon

I'd say that the wreath doesn't go on the front, wrap the spare with the branches.

For lights, I'd say you could take the standard 120V strings and cut them up into small strings. Divide the string of bulbs into 7-8 small strings. Say for a 35 bulb string, you'd divide it into 7 strings with 5 bulbs each, for a 50 light string, you'd divide it into 7 strings of 7 or 8 strings of 6. Then just connect the small strings to 12V. Now since everybody is going to be looking at the wreath, you need to add some more strings that come on with the brake/signal lamps. You could hook the rest of the lights to tail lights so they would come on with the headlight switch. If you have a trailer plug, you've got a perfect place to hook it up to.

I haven't tried this, but being series bulb strings, it should work fine.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2002, 11:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
the wreath

[/ QUOTE ]
What does that mean?

Laswt Christmas (not connected to the WHAM! [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]) I took those ordinary Xmas lights for the tree. Counted those bulbs, got what voltage do they work at, and then used'em accordingly, just hooked up in series &amp; parallel to 12V (actually, I counted 13,9V that I get with engine running). I also used those lines with 200 bulbs (so the voltage on each would be smaller, so I could use more of them).
Anyway, I got away with it. They were nice 'n bright with the engine running, and a bit dull with the engine off, but I got away with a couple of hrs (cutting wire, isolating, etc.) and some 10$ total.

Of course, my (ex) girlfriend had me remove some of them, cuz when my first attempt was finished, I had som 300 bulbs inside/out of my (ex) Jeep (XJ), and it looked like some kind of mooving church or something [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the suggestions... i purchased a 350 watt inverter from a local wal-mart for 40 bucks (Vector Brand with a two year warranty). i figured it might come in handy when the misses and i go camping. i am going to run a 16 gauge 20ft outdoor extension to through the firewall to the front. using zip ties to keep it away from the engine and fan... then gonna connect the 100 bulb strand of lights which is wrapped around the wreath. thats it.

i will post photos as soon as i have time to do it... i am excited. so it will be soon.

Thanks guys (and gals?),
Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode