3/4 Elliptical Question, if anyone's got it? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2002, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

3/4 Elliptical Question, if anyone\'s got it?

I'm planning on doing a 3/4 elliptical on my rear as soon as doctor's orders permit such labor. I was curious, has anyone here done this on the front? is it even possible? If so, can you post me some pictures? I'm just trying to get ideas.

Thanks,
Jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2002, 09:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 3/4 Elliptical Question, if anyone\'s got it?

If you do it on the front, incredble flex but not streetable. A friend of mine has the setup, here's a pic:

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2002, 09:09 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

One more:

His name is Brett McFarland, you can contact him through the Rock Garden Four Wheelers web page, his email is under members. http://home.off-road.com/~rockgarden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2002, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

Thanks a lot. So it's not streetable with the front? I assume steering issues, correct? This is my DD, I'm just looking for more flex out of the rear without going to more expensive leaf packs that I don't have the money for.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2002, 10:31 AM
Pooh-Bah

Brad, looks like the Jeep you posted of your friend has 1/4 elliptical in the front, not 3/4 elliptical.
M.O.R.E. sells a a shackle reversal kit with buggy springs (3/4 elliptical) for the front of Jeeps. I installed it on my CJ5 when I did SOA and YJ springs. Personally I don't think it is worth the extra money for 1-1.5"'s of extra droop that can be obtained with proper shackle angle/placement. You could replace the short stiff spring that comes in the kit with a section of a YJ spring and get more droop, but then may have to deal with them opening when cornering & hard braking.
SRS with "buggy Spring"
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2002, 10:35 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

PB, you are right, its 1/4, I guess I didn't read the original post too well! [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] That 1/4 sure can flex, but scary at anything over a crawl.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 03:04 AM

I done this to the rear of my YJ. I used Toyota Tacoma rear springs since they are designed for SOA. They have 3 long leaves and one short flat overload. they are VERY soft! [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I then got a stock YJ spring pack and took it apart and cut the springs in half. The center pin is centered so I only needed one spring pack. If you need more info email me and I will answer any questions that I can. I have not driven it like this since I am still building. but it should flex very well. Hope this helps, Wade

I forgot one of the main reasons for using the 'Yota springs is that the center pic was offset 5" with my MORE offset spring perches my wheelbase is now 100"!! [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
I must also mention the main reason I went with a 3/4 elliptical rear is that the yota springs are about 5" longer that the YJ springs and I needed a way to keep my shackle angle correct. With 3/4 elliptical I killed 2 birds with one stone. I got the flex I wanted plus the extended wheelbase.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode