Help with Knock after Nutter Bypass - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2002, 06:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Help with Knock after Nutter Bypass

I accomplished the Nutter Bypass and did set the timing to 8BTDC at 680rpm. The two problems that have followed are:
1. I have had to set it to 13 bdtc to stop the pinging.
2. I have a flutterring knock that happens under o-1/4 throttle of acceleration. If I push the throttle down hard it goes away. It does not do it after acceleration gets to cruising speed, only under load.
Could my distributor be off a tooth causing these problems?
It accelerates great other-wise. The power and the high R's are amazing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2002, 07:06 AM

Re: Help with Knock after Nutter Bypass

Make sure the distributor is getting ported vacuum for the advance. When you set the timing, did you remove and plug the advance line?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2002, 07:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I did switch it from manifold vacuum to ported as the directions say to. I have 0 vacuum on the port I switched it to until I rev it up. Ported = 0 at idle right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2002, 07:18 AM

Yep, you've got it right.

Another issue is that you may have had an underlying timing problem to begin with that the computer compensated for. Without the computer retarding the timing for you, the problem is now evident. I'd check the timing chain for wear. LEVE has a pretty good writeup on his site on how to check for chain slop, do a search and ye shall find.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2002, 07:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I just replaced the timing chain. I had 14 degrees of play. Now the throttle is instant. Could it be the TR upgrade is gone bad? What ohms should I read on the New ford coil, or where could I find the specs on this new coil? Could it be the ignition module is faulty? They are both "new" but maybe one or both is weak?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2002, 07:59 AM

RU,
Sorry to change the subject: How are you getting around emissions in Cali with the upgrades? Are you putting everything back stock prior to inspections, or are you even required to be inspected?
Just curious.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2002, 08:37 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

No, the State of CA does not want backyard mechanics like me making modifications to "street legal" vehicles. It is, as far as I know, acceptable on a vehicle for off road use only.
I went back to see who Oregon Sahara is by reading posts and have seen that it is possible that the stock ignition module may not be appropriate when upgrading to a TR recommended system. Is this a possible problem for me? Could the spark be to week to firing incorrectly due to the stock module?
Also, when I tried to use the autolite plugs at .045 I had a popping problem out the carb. When I switched back to Champion it dissappeared.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2002, 10:31 AM

I've got the stock ignition modual, TR upgrade, e-coil from an '88 taurus, nutter bypass, timing at 8 deg btdc, bosch platinums w/ spark gap at .045, MC 2100 carb. No pinging, unless I am really loading the engine. I did have some low RPM knocking a year ago, only under certain circumstances, until I replaced all of my main/rod bearings.

How many miles do you have on your engine? Do you still have the stock carter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode