just started major swap... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2002, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

just started major swap...

Well, I have my 89 YJ taken apart now. I just have to pull the tub off this next week so I can start on the frame. I'm planning on buying a 78 Chevy pickup with a 350/sm465/205, not sure what front and rear end it has yet. Hopefully I'll at least have it back running by the spring. I've been trying to figure out how much this will cost me so here's my list:

Racing Seats: $100
Revolver Shackles: $150
Top: $300
Dash/Guages: $250
Bumpers: $350
Motor Mounts: $50
Carb: $250
Alum. Intake: $100
Headers: $100
Tires/Rims: Best deal I can find
Steering: $350
Springs: $100
Driveshaft Work: $150
Radiator: $150
Misc Stuff: $500
Gears/Lockers: $1000
Truck: $700

Thats what I've figured so far. I plan on keeping the front and rear end full width so I shouldn't have to outboard the springs since I have a YJ right? I'm also planning on doing a shackle reversal. Anybody have any suggestions or any additions to my list?

By the way.. if anybody needs a complete 258 or the dana 30 and 35 let me know..

Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2002, 11:29 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Re: just started major swap...

Not sure about all that stuff, but I'd definetly ditch the revolver shackles. I haven't heard too many good things about them.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 06:20 AM
Keyboard Implanted

That looks like a good list that you have going there. I am interested in this post/project because you are putting the same drivetrain in your jeep that I want to put in mine. I am going to go with Waggie D44's front and rear I think. And I think that down the road that will give me the option of doing a SOA, and running 36's
You have 150 listed for driveshafts. What are you planning on doing... Are you going to take the doner shafts, and have them shortened? Get new shafts? I would be interested in what you plan on doing, I was planning on haveing to spend more than 150 for driveshafts.
I would also say that a good set of shackels will be fine for you. The revolvers don't really work that well with light trucks.
Keep us updated, if you get some pics post them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Looks like I'm ditching the revolver shackles. I plan on shortening the driveshafts and using them. Thats why I only figured $150 for them. I'll be going ahead and doing the SOA and I want to run at least 36" tires. I was thinking about 38's, but cost might be a factor when I finally buy a set of tires so I could be going smaller than 38 to start with. I'll try to take some pics as I go as long as I can borrow my friends digital camera... Andy
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 06:08 PM

i just picked up 2 1/2 ton chevy front shafts to use as rear shafts, they are really beefe and have cv joints, cost me $40 a piece.

BarrelRoll
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 07:31 PM
Journeyman

Chevy front CV driveshafts...

Don't those Chevy front CV driveshafts use the 1330 ujoints, like Bronco CV driveshafts? What are you going to do for yokes? Curious cause I considered the same thing but didn't want to plunk down the dough for aftermarket yokes. Is there a boneyard trick?

*** edit *** Just ran across your post related to this. Guess I'll keep an eye on it to see if anyone comes up with a boneyard trick. What I did was pull the front CV driveshaft out of a Cherokee. Big tube, around 32" overall, and uses 1310 u joints.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 06:14 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Chevy front CV driveshafts...

Well what good news. Looks like if I am clever I will be able to get away spending a lot less than I thought on driveshafts. What a good deal, I will take that money and move it over to getting some block hugging headers. And having a shop run custom pipes.

Have you addressed what you are going to do as far as a trans/Xcase cross member. Are you going to use the stock skid plate, have to do measurments to see if it will work. I am really hopping to use the stock plate because I like to have the option to tetter over stuff if needed. Are you going to keep what you have or fab a smaller one?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 08:30 AM
Pooh-Bah

I would take the money from revolver shackles and bumpers and buy a welder (if you don't have access to one). Then spend $50 on materials and build your own bumpers. Just an idea.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Journeyman

I have access to a welder, and I was going to build my own bumpers, but I was afriad that they wouldn't turn out how I would like and I found some that look pretty good for cheap. I'll probably end up building my own anyway at least to start with to save some money, and if I want to later I can buy the ones I have looked at. Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode