5.0 motor mounts - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2002, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

5.0 motor mounts

Yeah, I know MORE mounts are the way to go. But after reading Chris Waterman's swap write-up the hundreth time, I got curious about what he said about using a second passenger side cj 258 mount on the drivers side. I searched, but haven't found anyone who can actually confirm this.
So my question is, has anyone tried this, or does anyone know anyone who has done this? Seems like it would line the 5.0 on center in the engine bay, which would cause problems if the rest of the driveline is stock(like mine will be).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2002, 09:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 5.0 motor mounts

The myth about using two passenger side motor mounts for a 5.0 swap is just that. A myth, I say, I say, an old wives tale son. This will not work.

The M.O.R.E. mounts are, just as M.O.R.E. states, bomb proof, and retain the stock drivelines, motor tilt, etc. I am smack dab in the middle of this swap myself. I am using the M.O.R.E. mounts, and have no regrets. Believe it or not, it is actually one of the more in-expensive pieces of this swap [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Mike
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2002, 08:35 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

i take it you are referring to a ford 5.0 right? if so do not use the advance adapter motor mounts. i had lots of problems witht eh ones i had on the 351w i used to run (same mounts as the 302). i have heard of others with the same problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2002, 09:55 AM
Dean

I went with the MORE mounts, but a friend of mine used the CJ passenger side mounts for his swap. He doesn't have Internet access, and about all I can tell you is that he used Ford motor mount bushings along with home made spacers to adjust the angle of the engine. It's been quite a while, but there were a couple of folks on the jeeptech list that set theirs up this way before MORE came out with their mounts. You might try posting there for better info than what little that I could give you.

Dean
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2002, 09:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'd love to see pics of this type of setup. I measured six ways from Sunday, and there is no way I could concieve that two passenger side CJ mounts would sit the 5.0 in my engine bay without some major driveline changes, custom skidplate, driveshaft, etc, etc. It sits the engine too low, and tilts it towards the driverside, which is the opposite of what the stock config does (tilt it towards the passengerside). It also gets in the way of the driverside exhaust outlet, and clutch assembly. If someone pulled this off, there was quite a bit of fabrication involved!

BTW, who doesn't have internet access these days? [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Mike
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 06:07 AM
Dean

Try running a search on the 'net for Gil Meacham's homepage. He was one of the folks on the jeeptech list that did this swap, but it's been four or five years since he did it. It's been a long time since I've looked at any of that stuff, so there's a good chance that I'm mistaken about which mount was used - the driver side or passenger side. My friend who did the swap is out at sea and his Jeep is sitting in WA, so it'll be quite some time before I can get the details.

Dean
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 09:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Gil Meacham's name comes up all over the place for 5.0 swap info, but I've never been able to successfully find his page, or any pics, write-up, etc. [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

I'd love to see/read what he has done! If anyone has cached info or anything I'd love to see it. Thanks!

Mike
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 10:14 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The only problems I've had with my Advance Adapter motor mountswas the fact that I had to add 3" of shim between the base (the part welded to the frame) and the rubber mounts themselves.
I used two 1.5" aluminum pucks stacke on top of each other and so far haven't had any other issues.

The MORE mounts cost more and still needed to be welded in on my application so I went with the AA ones.

I asked the AA guy if these mounts were ready to go once welded in, of course he said yes. I guess he meant to say they were ready to have shims added to them once they were welded in.

Har Har......

Big_MARK
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 07:42 PM

I used the MORE mounts on my YJ.
I had to modify the driver side mount, but it was pretty simple.
Here are some pics.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 07:37 PM
Veteran

H8: Did you move your motor forward at all when you did your install? I'm at the beginning phase of a new buildup using the 5.0/ford drivetrain and I want to try to get a little more driveshaft length. I am curious as to how far forward I could reasonably expect to move the motor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode