Safety Question.....sorry so long - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2002, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

Safety Question.....sorry so long

Ok, I'm in the process of working on my tub its off a 83-CJ7. I have to cut back just inside of the outer seat bolts & 3" up the rocker panels to get to good metal.

I'm replacing the rocker area with 1/8x2x4 tubing the piller for the seat belts will be notched for the tubing and the metal will be in decent shape after notching. Tthe front piller will need a little more repair. I will use 1/4x4 angle to go from the body mount in front of the rear tire which the factory roll bar will bolt to.

Then will use 1/8x1x3 tubing to run front to rear between the 3 body mounts the outer seat bolts will then bolt to this and the cross braces will have good metal when cut back to this, they will also weld to this.

Sence I'm going to all this work I was thinking of incorperating a brace/mount for the front roll bar hoop instead of tieing it into the frame. My thoughts are to use more 1/8x1x3 tubing and run it at a angle from the first and second body mount over to the rocker 2x4 tubing right under where the hoop will bolt and then use some 3/16 metal for the front floor boards.
My question is would this be a safe way of mounting the cage or should I just tie it into the frame with its own mount?

If it makes a differance I will have a 3rd hoop in the rear and will tie it in simular if you thing this is safe or to the frame which ever works out better. For now it will just be off-road only but in the future who knows I may register it. My off-roading includes lots of hill climbing and I want my family safe incase of a roll.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2002, 09:34 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Safety Question.....sorry so long

Going to the <font color="red">frame </font color> is allways best!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2002, 10:44 AM
Way Outta Control

jeeprrzis 100% right on! Sometimes a picture's worth a thousand words. Guess where the tub's at! It's layin' over 600 feet away... the driver died in the roll over.

Last edited by LEVE; 03-24-2009 at 07:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2002, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Wow and I feel for the family for the loss.

Just a few thoughts:
1. If the cage was securly attached to the body and the body did come off the driver would still be surrounded by cage so in theroy would be protected.

2. If cage was attached to frame and body came loose the driver could be crushed (seats &amp; belts attached to body)

3. I've heard that some use body mounts for their cages to allow for flex so then solid mounting is best?

4. So logic tells me that maybe the best thing would be to do is what I described above and also tie it into the frame and also tie the seat brace channels into the frame (solid mounted with bolts)

Is my thinking way off? I know that in somecases not even a cage will save you just want to be safe as possable and trying to get things planed out so I just have to do it once. Thanks for the input!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2002, 11:47 AM

WOW! That is terrible.

The cage that I am planning will hade mounting points attached to the frame through plates sandwitching the body, with body mount style bushings. I figure that these extra mounts will act as extra body mounts, which will limit the tubs flex, but less than a straight mount to the frame. I guess that one could build the cage directly to the frame and cut holes in the tub, but I don't like that idea. I am also planning on mounting the seats and belts to the cage, so that the entire thing, cage and tub would have to come off, as well as have the seats separate from the cage to really be in trouble. I think that sounds right.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2002, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

I have been searching around using differant keywords on cages since last night and am getting lots of info. I havn't found anything simular to what I'm doing so that is why I asked this question.

I just found a old post by Leve with a pic of the same rollover that shows the body in it for those of you interested.
http://bbs.off-road.com/ubbthreads/s...rue#Post645154

Hope this works never tried it before
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2002, 03:38 PM

I think the key to the rest of that picture is that there is not a full cage. Seems like with no protection over the drivers seat area, you are pretty much open to injury. With a front hoop, that person may have been alright. I guess that this doesn't answer the direct to frame or mounted with ruber question.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2002, 05:05 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I remember that roll. There wasn't much that could have saved hime save for a complete NASCAR level full cage. Even so, he would have been reallt injured.

He was ejected from the rolling vehicle and I think it may have rolled over him (can't remember).

Look at the rear bar. It is folded in half. Taken into consideration, that level of roll would have collapsed most "full" cages except for high end, well designed and triangulated cages made of DOM tubing.

As was said earlier, design for your worst case senario.

Fritz
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2002, 06:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

[img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] WOW That is terrible. Don't like to see that [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2002, 07:31 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Yes, I remember those photos too, how could anyone ever forget them. In a roll that bad I don't think it would have mattered what you did. This jeep rolled a LONG way down the mountian. Colorado I believe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode