CJ tup swap-74 to post-76 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2002, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

CJ tup swap-74 to post-76

hi all.
i have a 74 jeep, and the tub is farily rusty/ rotten/ icky. however, it is still completly useable. it just occured to me as i was looking for a repo tub in my catalouges to pass the time(those are REALLY expensive), that hey! why cant i put a tub off a post 76 on there? do they have the same frame and body mounts? different windshield, seat brackets, and half doors, i know. the great part about this is that i know where a post 76 tub is in a local junkyard(back off! its mine!) anyhoot, do yall see any disadvantage to this? it seems like a good idea if it required little to no modification. would i have to buy a new top then? i havnt heard of it ever being done, maybe because its hard? or have i just been under a rock?

thanks, sparky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2002, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Re: CJ tup swap-74 to post-76

cmon, someone has to know if i can do this. put a post-76 tub on a pre-74.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2002, 03:09 PM

Well Sparky, I've thought of the same thing. I've looked at a 'glass tubs a couple of times, and if I do swap my tub out in a few years (just got it welded back together this summer, no WAY am I swapping it out for a couple years!) I'm going to the post '76 tub on my '74. I've read about it once, basically there are some minor differences in where the body mounts, at least according to that source. The big reason I was thinking about the swap is that there are a lot more after market accesories that fit the post '76 models. I would REALLY like to get a 'glass hardtop to replace my metal one. Personally, I don't think the swap is that hard--a friend of mine has a '76 frame and running gear with a '72 body on it! Anway, is the tub at the wrecking yard off the frame? If so, just go measure the body mount points and compare to the ones you have. One big thing to remember is you will have to rewire--the '76 and up had a different wiring set up (not difficult, just a bit different) than the earlier models. If you decide to do it, how about writing a tech article to post at swb.com? Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2002, 04:17 PM

I think the tubs are very similar, the biggest differences are in the windsheild, and front clip being longer on teh later ones.

Ive heard you can swap the windshield and run the hardtop, but I dont know that for a fact.

there is a link somewhere with the body mount diminsions and layout, I cant remember where it is but maybe someone else here does, it would probably show the differnce, If I recall its pretty slight, and only like the to rear tub mounts.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2002, 07:12 PM

Actually the fenders changed length in '72. The fenders on the '74 will be the right length for both the tub and the frame. A hardtop off a later model will fit an earlier model tub, but requires the changing of the windshield frame as you noted. I hope somebody knows of that link. I'm years off from doing this myself, but I'd love to find out for sure!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2002, 08:37 AM

I figured Leve, the great disseminator of all worthy links woudl have it, It may actually be a file in my head that Im thinking about, Il look thru some older Jeep info Ive zipped on floppies since I changed OS.

If I find it Ill post [email protected]!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode