Needing to establish a value for a 1971 CJ 4 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 10:46 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Needing to establish a value for a 1971 CJ 4

My father is looking at selling his 1971 CJ 4. He is the original owner and the Jeep has been garage kept all these years.

It is in great condition, no rust, 4-wheel drive rarely engaged. He bought it in San Antonio on a whim (in 1971) returning home.

It has 55,000 original miles and the majority of those are tow miles between West Texas and Northern New Mexico. It has the original paint (great condition) which is a turquoise green type color.

After 30 + years of ownership he is ready to sell. While it is not in showroom condition it is perhaps (I would think) one of finest CJ4's around in that it has been garage kept all these years and is in perfect running condition.

I have check with NADA Guides, and Kelly's Blue Book on the internet but they do not offer the info I need at this time - at least online -

I appreciate any assistance and will try to answer any q's to the best of my ability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 10:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Needing to establish a value for a 1971 CJ 4

Are you sure you don't mean CJ5? Got pics?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 10:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

That is the interesting thing about it, my Dad's ownership manual states CJ-4 (he has the original manual). It is an AMC Jeep in that the AMC emblem is on the lower left side of the tailgate.

NADA or KBB does not list a CJ4? But according to my Dad it is in fact a CJ 4. I wonder if they made this type for only a year or so?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 11:09 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I'd like to hear more about this CJ4, cause all the rsords I've ever come across say there was only ONE Cj4 ever built and it sits in a museum if I'm not mistaken.

Actually two the CJ4 and the CJ4M (both prototypes):

http://www.film.queensu.ca/CJ3B/Poster/CJ4.html
http://www.film.queensu.ca/CJ3B/Poster/CJ4M.html

check the other models linked on these pages for more ID.

brent
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 11:10 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Throw up some detaled pics.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 11:24 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Odd - The original CJ4 concept was in the early 50's, and died about as quick as it came (Only one was built to my knowledge). Might be a Mexican or other non-US vehicle though.

Is this what it looks like?

See Here for more details [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 11:27 AM

Your dad's jeep is most likely a CJ5. Mbalbritton posted a couple links that will give you some info on the CJ4. Here is a couple of more (accessible from the same site--the CJ3B page is GREAT!):

The Lost CJ4

Jeep Prototype Timeline

Also, here is a link to a CJ5 primer that may help:

CJ5 Barn

As for value, it sounds to be in excellent shape. Any way you can post a pic of it, or maybe give us some specs like which engine and options it has? That would help us out a bit.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 11:29 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Let me inquire more from my father as to exactly if it is a CJ4 or 5.

I can easily get pics but scanning them is another story. I do have a scanner but I am a computer cypher at best and I am having a hard enough time trying to reply to these messages.

When I last visited with my Dad I told him I found some values on NADA Guides and that AMC listed a 1971 CJ 5 (as I assumed his Jeep was a CJ 5 and here I drove it for three years while in high school from 1977 - 79) and he replied by stating that it is a CJ 4 and not 5. I believe it to be a 4 cylinder Jeep as well, but I am not sure.

My knowledge on vehicles is limited as my study is in scripture (I am a pastor) and my is a physician and soon to retire in a couple of years - he is 73. As result, not much time was afforded me to learn a lot about vehicles.

If I scan some pictures, where do I send them?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 11:42 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Let me get some pics scanned as soon as possible. My dad lives 54 miles from me and I can go there this evening and take some pics as well as hook up my scanner and strive to get them posted.

I can also find out the dealership where he bought the jeep from. We were in San Antonio in 1971 to visit the site(s) of the World's Hemisphere (which I think was in '68)and my Dad mentioned he always wanted a jeep so he bought it on the spot - brand new. If I am not mistaken, he has the original window sticker as well. I think, again I think, he paid around $2,100 for it in 1971.

Nonetheless I can research his owners manual and find specific information.

The picture of this Jeep does resemble my Dad's however the gas cap on my dad's jeep is in the back of the jeep - top right corner above the tailgate, whereas your pic shows the gas cap to be towards the rear driver side. The wheels - original - are white and the spare is mounted in its original location which is on the right side of the jeep. Also, my dad's jeep seem to have a larger or more rounded front wheel fender(s) as compared to the fenders in this pic.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 11:47 AM

Posting a pic is fairly easy. When you post or reply to a message there is a little box right above the "continue" button that says "I want to preview my post and/or attach a file". Check that box with a click of the mouse, then hit continue. Your browser will then show your message and give a little box that says either "image" or "picture" or "file" (I can't remember which this second!) with a button alongside of it that says "Browse". Hit the browse button and find the file on your computer, then hit the "upload" button. That will attach the pic to the message. Hope this helps, and hope we can help you out on this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode