Needing to establish a value for a 1971 CJ 4 - Page 3 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2002, 09:27 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 1971 CJ4 that is a CJ5

Brent, The websites you recommended were most helpful. Thanks to everyone replying. After reviewing such I am certain my dad's Jeep is an early CJ5.

I am traveling to visit him tomorrow and will take pics and download them sometime on Saturday evening. Exterior pics along with interior pics as well as features/engine will hopefully prove useful for others to state an opinion as to what they think the 1971 Jeep might be worth.

Thanks everyone again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2002, 09:57 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Needing to establish a value for a 1971 CJ 4

I really enjoyed seeing the pictures of the Moonlight Rambler!

I am anxious to see my Dad tomorrow and take pics of his '71 CJ5. I am going to download them tomorrow night and solicit more insight and advice.

I am going to take the owners manual with me too and state the engine facts etc.

If I buy the Jeep from my Dad - to keep it in the family - I was curious as to the cost of a hardtop? Your site mentioned you put on your Jeep a 70's aftermarket hardtop. My Dad's Jeep has a soft top and with a 4 year old and a 7 year old and some cold winter West Texas days (not like Alaska however)I know my wife would appreciate any added warmth as possible. What is the price range for such a top?

Thank you.
post #23 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2002, 11:05 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Price of Hard top for Early model CJ5? I'll put it this way, the Price isn't the hard part, Finding one is!! they are around, but finding one that's in good condition or restorable condition........ Good Luck [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

brent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2002, 12:54 PM
Old Hand

They still make new hardtops for cj5's.
post #25 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2002, 01:15 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Who does? I have yet to hear of anyone that does. I wouldn't mind having one myself [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

brent
post #26 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2002, 02:24 PM

Thanks for the kind comments!

I know where there are about 4 of the metal hardtops for the early CJs right now....however, shipping from Alaska would be outrageous! For a restorable metal one, I wouldn't probably pay more than $100 if it had all the glass. One guy here on the board made a VERY nice looking one for himself out of plywood! It wouldn't be that hard to do, and you could fiberglass over say 1/4" ply and nobody would ever know it was wood! You could have the glass cut at a local glass shop. We had to do that a couple times when we pulled sleepers off of Kenworths and had to put glass in the rear of the cab.

They still make hardtops for the CJ5, but you have to convert the early model windshield to a later model one. The later ones taper toward the top and lean back more. AJ's makes it. They're URL is:
AJ's Jeep bodies

This one will take you directly to the tops page:
AJ's Hardtops

Gotta admit they look sharp.

Kinda pricey though. Seems to me I figured about $2500-3000 to get one to Alaska. I decided to refurb the metal top I had!

You might check ebay--they have tops on their occasionally. Just remember you need one that fits a '55-'75.

Hope this helps!
post #27 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2002, 08:41 PM
I Do This For The Glory

My older brother has one of those CJ-5 tops he's selling, up here in Maine. I think he's asking around $500 for it, but is also includes the hard doors. It's in OK shape, he doesn't use it anymore as it's just his wheeling jeep. He's not advertising it, but would also trade for some Swampers, in the 35" range I think (or maybe Q's). I can give his e-mail if anyone is interested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode