Needing to establish a value for a 1971 CJ 4 - Page 2 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 12:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Needing to establish a value for a 1971 CJ 4

Reading the replies from everyone (which is greatly appreciated) I would think too it is a CJ 5. If it is a CJ 5 what do you discern the value to be.

Also, from reading the replies I searched some of the links (very helpful) and they seem to indicate that CJ 4 was very limited to only a couple being made -surely my Dad is not holding one of them?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 01:10 PM

A bit of a humourous aside: my father heard of a "1941 Jeep" for sale. I got REAL excited since that would be an MA or MB model jeep, with the slat grill verses the later stamped steel ones. Figuring someone had a seriously rare jeep we hot footed it out there.....turned out to be a 1951 M38A1 in VERY rough shape. Major let down, for sure--we'd even towed a trailer out there!

Anhow, the jeep your father has is probably a CJ5, a very good rig. I drive a similar 1974 model. Here is a link to some of my pics:

The Moonlight Rambler

I've got the metal top back on now, but haven't posted any pics of that other than the one beside my posts.

Now, I believe that the '71 was the last of the "short nose" CJs. That means that the front fenders are a few inches shorter than the later CJs. If you look at it, the front wheel well comes almost back to the tub. The longer nose on later models was to accomodate the V-8s and Straight Six engines that AMC started using.

In perfect condition, with no rust and 100% original, I would guess that it would go for $2500 to $4000 depending on your location and your buyer. However, that is an absolute guess, based on my experience here in Alaska (up here if it is 4x4 and starts it is worth $1000 regardless of condition!). Maybe another member of the board that lives closer can give a better feel for your area.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 02:28 PM

Also after reading this you said it had an AMC tag on it. Well you have a CJ5 none the less. Actually you have a crossover year. It is Kaiser but yet it is AMC.
Specs should look somehting in the tune of
F-head 134 4 -cylinder and or optional 225 V6 buick engine
front axle is more than likely a Dana 27 with saginaw manual steeing/ rear axle is one or the other of a Dana30 2 piece or a Dana 44 flanged. springs will be 27" apart center to center.
Also look at the VIN tag on the firewall. You can run the VIN numbers and find out exactly what it is.
You could also have a Mexican model CJ. But who knows other than the VIN
look at
www.earlycj5.com you should be able to get some more information on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 03:07 PM
Official Historian

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

F-head 134 4 -cylinder and or optional 225 V6 buick engine

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to see that "and" engine compartment. [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

rear axle is one or the other of a Dana30 2 piece or a Dana 44 flanged.

[/ QUOTE ]

CJ5 never used the dana 30 rear, only a 2 piece and flanged dana 44.

run the VIN numbers

[/ QUOTE ]

Little redundant repeat restate isn't it? [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
post #15 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 03:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Enlighten me please on what a "Mexican" model would be?

Having looked at various sites people have sent me I would discern it is an early model CJ 5. I am anxious to get the owners manual and find out exactly how my father discerned or read that it was a CJ 4.

What do you think the value would be of this Jeep, should it be a CJ 5?

Thanks.
post #16 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 04:32 PM
JimD

I have a 71 cj5 my dad bought new in 71, It has A 27 front A one piece 44 in the rear. It has the AMC decals on the lower front fender only. In some of the early model 71's the gas tank is still under the drivers seat. He said that the fill for his dads is in the rear. I will attach a pic of mine I hope it helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 962975-stevesloop2 014.jpg (80.9 KB, 46 views)
post #17 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 04:34 PM
JimD

One more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 962977-stevesloop2 016.jpg (74.1 KB, 43 views)
post #18 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 04:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

These pictures are extremely helpful, thank you for sending them. My Dad's jeep is quite plain compared to your Jeep. He has the regular tires and wheels from the purchase-time. Obviously the tires have been replaced but the wheels are the same. Also, the spare is on the right passenger side. Side steps have been on since the purchase date as well.

My Dad's jeep does not have a roll bar either.

He would like to get $4,500 for his Jeep, do you feel that is too-far reaching?

post #19 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 04:53 PM
JimD

The stock spare tire location on mine was also the left rear side. If the jeep is in as good as shape you say it is, then it is worth 4000 to 5000 thou. Closer to the 5000 if it has the V6 in running condtion. I would like to see some pics of it. I have been offered twice the amount my dad paid for mine new.
post #20 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2002, 08:54 AM

Oops [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] I made a mistake on the rear axle. I meant a Dana rear end 30 splined 44 one piece or 2 piece 19 splined 44.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode