OT - Need info On Battery power Tools!!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

OT - Need info On Battery power Tools!!!!

Since it has been an ongoing topic, and I have been out of the loop for a long time in the tool department. Can I get some info on what the differences on the tools in regard to power, dependability and ruggedness.

I was used to the original battey poweer tools that lasted about 10 minutes and wouldnt drill anything more than wood.
I just bought a Sawzall, but I keep seeing the battery tool kits that have drill, recipricating saw and other tools. I am just wondering if they are tough enough to work with metal and how long they will last while working with metal.
I am contimplating getting some battery power tools, but only if they allow me the same strength and power as corded tools.

thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 10:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: OT - Need info On Battery power Tools!!!!

Hey Dan, for what it's worth - I didn't understand the difference myself, and couldn't figure out why people spent so much $ on cordless stuff. So I got a cheap one. It doesn't last as long (no big deal), but the kicker is the lack of torque. I had a hard time drilling some large screws into a post for my fence. Hell, I even had a hard time drilling holes in the post. The cheap ones just aren't very strong.

But I still couldn't justify spending the big bucks on a better cordless, so I got a non-cordless hammer drill from Harbor Freight. Holy Cow! Night and day difference. That thing zings through stuff like butter. Goes through drill bits faster too!

Oh - by the way - I found my tranny! You need to make the drive up here and help me out. It's taken me two days so far just to pull the tranny out, and I'm not even done! Way more involved than I was hoping for, due to clearance issues. I had to remove the exhaust, the headers, all kinds of unnecessary stuff! But I'll be 4wd by January, dangit!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2002, 12:43 PM
Can't Get Enough

Good quality cordless drills have lots of power (torque). I have run large wood boring bits with 12V units without a problem. About three weeks ago I sunk about 1400 3-1/2" #10 screews though concrete and wood with a midsize quality cordless. The first battery pack lasted about 800 screws, never did discharge the second. Problem with cordless is, even if you don't use them your battieries will still die. And they are a big expense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2002, 03:06 PM
RedSandDog

I have the 18v SawzAll and hammerdrill kit. The SawzAll goes thru the battery fast, especially if you use an aggressive blade on wood, I had to back off on my blades a little. The hammerdrill has an adjustable cluthc, so I can do every thing from drywall to concrete boring (well, within limits). I love the drill, the saw is OK. If you don't really need cordless, the regular cord tools are cheaper and more powerful. If you work where there isn't power, or don't want to crawl thru an attic pulling 30 feet of cord behind, stuuf like that, then step up and go cordless, but if you go cordless get the good stuff. I am sold on 18v but it ain't cheap.

I was able to cut the welds on my front spring shackle mounts and drill out the rivets on one battery, so they can do some real work.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2002, 01:28 PM
Journeyman

Say,I've just had a kwazy idea on cordless tools.Would there be any way
to make a hook-up on the 12v ones to run off of a Jeep battery?Just
thinking of advanced trail tools.More power-ooh ooh.
Bergy. [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2002, 02:46 PM
Way Outta Control

1. Yes, this would work, Use good wire for the hanress.
2. Just beware you don't drain your starting battery.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2002, 04:27 PM

I've seen guys hook up drills to car batteries and they work great and have lots of power but they don't last long. The motors seem to hadle it fine but the gears give out. [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

I can see it now as resourceful as us Jeepers are, soon we'll be seeing post like......

OT/ Swapping Makita gears into a Black & Decker

[img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode