Frozen (as in ice) cooling system - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 07:03 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Frozen (as in ice) cooling system

OK, haven't encountered this one before...

go out to start the Jeep this morning under a nice blanket of snow (for VA) and it starts great, except for the fact that the fan belt apparently cannot move because the water pump is frozen and then it catches on fire and snaps (the belt). So for all of you great white northerners how does one avoid this or thaw things out so that the belt doesn't go? thanks,

-web stokes
c'ville, va [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 07:10 AM
Way Outta Control

Re: Frozen (as in ice) cooling system

This ain't good [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

1. Got a Trouble light?
2. Put the trouble light under the enging... and wait, or.
3. Install an inline engine heater in the lower radiator hose, or,
4. Attache a magnetic block heater to the oil pan, or,
5. Install a heated dipstick in the engine.

In any case... ya gotta check your coolant/water mix and while things are thawing out... pray you've not cracked the block, heads, raditator, heater coil or water pump.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 07:25 AM

if you have a decent mix of water and antifreeze, then i would doubt it's frozen from ice. might be coinsidence. i would suspect that the bearing may have seized in the water pump. do you remember if it was making any different noises the last time you drove it, or if the temp seemed to be on the high side.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 07:40 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

You did not mention if you were using any antifreeze.
I live in northern canada and use a 50-50 mixture.
I have started and driven vehicle as low as -60C without
any freezing of the rad. waterpump etc.

If you are using antifreeze i would buy a cheap antifreeze
tester and see what the antifreeze is rated at.

hope this helps.

PS.-40c or colder =Rock hard seats,everything plastic wants to break,do not pull on any wires.Do not hit plastic windows.scape ice off window with credit card(max out).
should have installed aux. heater,thank god i did heater motor upgrade. A what the hell only 4 months of winter left
(maybe 5)
Take care for now
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 09:08 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Is the rest of the cooling system forzen? is there ice in the rad. How about the rad tubes, are they frozen..?
It really isn't a very good Idea to run just water in your cooling system. Antifreeze not only helps keep things from freezing, but also brings up the boiling point. And it helps keep everything inside to motor lubed up. Like the pump.

The first car I ever had, the one I got in Highschool that I paied $5 for. that thing used to start every morning. -32 one morning went out to get in and start it up. So cold the door handle snapped righ off in my hand.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 09:53 AM
Can't Get Enough

Suggestion, do not drive or even continue to run the vehicle until it has completely thawed out. You will overheat the motor and destoy any parts that may still be salvageable. Very unlikely you have frozen up the coolant without some damage to most of the parts LEVE mentioned.

A 50/50 mix of antifreeze is cheap insurance. As mentioned, it lowers the freezing point, raises the boiling point, lubricates the pump, and prevents excessive corrosion in the system.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 10:04 AM

Hm.. ya.. I was going to say the same thing..

Seats hard, plastic breaking, me in 8 layers and two jackets and I've never had it freeze up.

I even ran straight anti-freze at one point because I was afraid it would freeze.. obviously there is very little risk of that..

Actually my last bottle had the recomendations.. was something like..
(AF/H2O)
30/70 -20C
40/60 -40C
50/50 -60C
70/30 (If your dead because your blood is frozen, but still want your car to start.)
[img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 01:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've seen some cracked heads & blocks 'round here. Winters aren't so severe, but every now and then it hits wothoit notice, and drops seriously below zero. So even those blend-AF mixtures don't keep up.
I'd put it in the garage, heat it up a bit so it melts properly...
I run a 100% AF in my system from the end of november 'till the end of march. It may be a bit too drastical [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img], but at least I'm sure it won't get frozen.
Also remember the windshield cleaning liquit (ice does great things to the pump & tubes [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] )
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Thanks for all the good responses :-)

I do believe that it is frozen (ice) because it looks like a slurpy in the radiator. Apparently i should not have assumed that the PO had any sort of anti freeze mixture in there. I never have had any problems with overheating or high temps so I made the mistake of assuming. Any way the temp did not get that cold last night (mid twenties) and is not supposed to tonight either. It is supposed to be in the 40s tomorrow so i was hoping that by mid afternoon it may be thawed out and i could throw a new belt on it and try to run it (and check for any leaks, etc.) again i appreciate the advice and as soon as i can get the fluid flowing it is getting drained and replaced with a good mixture :-).

on that note how about running it with the belt off for a little bit to heat things up? think that would help any? it ran great this morning once the belt caught fire and snapped.

thanks again guys

-web
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 07:03 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I run a 100% AF in my system from the end of november 'till the end of march. It may be a bit too drastical , but at least I'm sure it won't get frozen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a good idea! Running pure antifreeze impedes heat transfer, corrosion protection and can also freeze you need to run atleast 30% water for it to work properly. So yes it is a bit drastic [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode