Advantages to twin-stick? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 06:01 AM Thread Starter

Advantages to twin-stick?

OK, so you can get rear drive low range, which is already there, just not marked on the knob. And you can get front drive only, high or low range.

Any other advantages to doing a twin-stick conversion on a D20?

I really liked the (Dana 18?) case on my '64. It had one stick for High/Neutral/Low range, and one for 2WD/4WD. That's the way it should be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 07:56 AM
Pooh-Bah

Re: Advantages to twin-stick?

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
It had one stick for High/Neutral/Low range, and one for 2WD/4WD. That's the way it should

[/ QUOTE ]
That's the way the Scout D20 that I have operates, left stick gives me H,N,L the right stick gives me 2wd/4wd. Not sure if that is how it is suposed to be, but it is all new and rebuilt so I don't think any other changes have been made. I like being able to drive in 2 lo and if I can't make it over something I just slip the right lever forwards and get the front working, make the obstacle, pull it back and continue on. The other thing I like is tight trails I run in 2 lo to get better turning with a front locker.
Plus more shifters confuses people and looks better IMO.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2002, 06:11 AM Thread Starter

When I got my '7, I looked at the power-flow drawings in the '78 FSM, and got the idea that my D20 wouldn't behave that way. I'll have to look it over again. If mine will do that, it would be sweet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2002, 06:58 AM

The Dana20 used in CJ's can be twin sticked to give you the following combos
4wd High and Low
Rear wheel Drive only High and Low
Front wheel Drive only High and Low
And front high/rear low or vice versa, which will bust your case or gears [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Now a stock D20 shift linkage is kind of sloppy and you can put the case into rear wheel low by playing with the shifter.
I have also seen D20's with a J style shift. I'm not sure if stock or not. I don't know much about them. This may have been used on FSJs?
The older D18 did have the dual sticks as listed above but do not allow you to have front wheel drive only.
I twin sticked my D20 when I swapped in the D18 gears. You can't just put twin sticks on it without removing a pill located between the shift rails. To get to this you have to completly disasembly the case.
The biggest advantage I have found is that with a locker in the front I can go to front wheel drive only which allows easier turning. In 4wd the front ends to get pushed by the rear in tight corners.
I did I big write up on this about 9 months ago. Try a search for more info and pics.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2002, 07:04 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Having the front axel in Hi, and the rear in N is a real advantage when roads are slick like when driving in snow. When it isn't slick enough for 4wd, but there are places. Having front wheel drive would be really helpful.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2002, 08:35 AM

When I was up to the new Avalance Ranch in SW Colorado they'd just created new trails and one in particular had us threading our way around and between a bunch of trees which included some extremely tight turns.
Going to 2WD Lo Front only and setting the (rear) e-brakes allowed me to pivot turn through these tight obsticles.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2002, 09:31 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

One thing I don't like about my twin stick is that it pops out of gear. It only does it going down steep hills using the gears to slow down. I have to keep my hand on the left shifter. I read somewhere the case needs stronger springs or small spacers installed behind them. Anyone else have this problem?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2002, 10:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey jps4ever,

is this with a Dana 300? I'm really curious, because I am two clicks away from ordering the twin stick package from 4WD Hardware right now for my Dana 300.

Has anyone else experienced this happening?

Mike
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2002, 10:50 AM
Pooh-Bah

I have not had this problem with mine (D20), it was totally rebuilt so maybe it's because nothing is wore out yet.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2002, 03:08 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Yes xtensive, its a Dana 300. I think someone on this board was talking about this a few months back. When they ordered their twin stick shifter (don't know from where) they asked him if he wanted the stiffer springs. This was the first I had heard of that. Why don't you build your own twin stick, it is not hard and a heck of a lot cheaper than buying one.
Here is what it ended up looking like.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 964047-twin sticks.jpg (43.0 KB, 8 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode