4.0 Head Swap on 258 Questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 01:38 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

4.0 Head Swap on 258 Questions

I have a few questions about putting a 4.0 head onto a 258.What year is most preferred? Can I use one from a FS jeep? Do I have to get new pushrods? The 258 is on a 1986 cj7 with about 70,000 miles. Is there anything that I should look closely at on the motor before the swap? I don't own this jeep yet maybe I won't if the seller doesn,t take less. I am just trying to get all the info I need in advance. BTW the jeep I'm interested in is a 86 renegade with auto, hardtop,mint interior, 67,000 original miles, no rust, hardtop has never been taken off. Owner asking alot 10,000 I would pay $7500.What to you think? I'm waiting till closer to xmas to offer I think he needs cash.

John G.

"Can't get enough of that wonderful Duff!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 08:04 AM
tkcomer

Re: 4.0 Head Swap on 258 Questions

Here is the write-up.

http://monsterslayer.com/jeep/40Head/40Head.htm

I got mine off of a í91 Cherokee. Iíve got about $500 in the swap, but that involved rebuilding the head, exhaust modifications, little things here and there. It made a huge difference in the performance of the Jeep. Just make sure you get the valve cover and exhaust manifold also.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2002, 12:42 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: 4.0 Head Swap on 258 Questions

Although 67K isnt a lot of millage for a 258, you may be best to go through the whole engine and freshen it up a bit. That way you know what you have. I had about 30K on a rebuild when I swapped. There are a lot of write ups on the net for this swap, and a lot of people have done it. If you plan on using your carb, stick with the '91-'95 head. These can also accept the Mopar EFI kit. I used a '98 head, but I had to go FI and used the newer style of exhaust/intake manifolds in conjuction with the '94 based EFI. Made for a stong running engine, but with a lot of piece meal.

Even though the interior may be great, I think $7500 is way out of line for a '86. Heck, you could get a '91-'95 YJ for less than that. Then you wouldn't have to do the head swap. I'd keep looking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode