3000 RPM Bog. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 06:52 PM
Sell2docs

3000 RPM Bog.

Hello, I just bought a 1986 CJ7 with a 258ci. The Engine Bogs out at 3000 rpm. I was told that it is a malfunction in the computer which causing the problem. I was also told that the computer is no longer available from Jeep, but there is a bypassing technique that will fix this problem.
Can anyone please tell me if this is true, or are my sources full of baloney? Everything else seems to run fine.

Thanks, Todd <font color="red"> </font color>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 07:05 PM
Way Outta Control

Re: 3000 RPM Bog.

Todd,
1. Welcome to the forum.
2. Thanks for completing your user profile.

A computer controlled BBD Carb is about as stoneage as you can get in the feedback carb arena. It's not an easy fix, hence the Nutter bypass.

The Bypass does work as advetised, however the engine runs rich.

Coupling the Nutter bypass with the TR TFI ignition upgrade would breath new life and realibilty into the CJ.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 10:43 PM

"Coupling the Nutter bypass with the TR TFI ignition upgrade would breath new life and realibilty into the CJ."

So would a weber
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 06:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ditto about the mods, but I wanted to add that I don't think there is any "problem" with your jeep. I think that it is normal peformance for the stock system. I would love to do the modification too, but I dumped so much money into getting the stock equipment working properly to pass smog! [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 06:39 PM

Todd,

Does the engine cut out? Or it won't go above 3000 rpm?

My first thought was a restricted exhaust, usually shows up around that range.

But, if you can verify that the computer is at fault i might be able to help you out with a replacement. might.

Double check the exhaust pipes, i believe some kind of white ring forms on the exterior when the inside layer caves in. Also, check muffler, cat?

Scott...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2002, 08:36 PM
Sell2docs

Thanks for your replies, I've realized that when it comes to jeep, one must find out what's working right to find out whats broken. Todd
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2002, 10:54 AM
Sell2docs

Hello All,
I feel that my local 4WD store is ripping me off. I bought the Jeep with only 94k on it in Nevada before Turkey Day and drove it back across the country, and took the long way (3000+mi) back home to Charlotte. I can tell you of my cross country adventures through southern Utah in another message. Firstly, I told the 4WD mechanic of my symptoms at 3000 rpm. I agreed to let him do the Nutter Bypass and adjust the carburetor, $150. I passed on the 5 hour carb rebuild that he said the jeep "absolutly needed. He claims that he did the Nutter Bypass, but that it wouldn't fix the problem until I have my clogged cat converter replaced. I had the cat checked out with the heat gun and some pressure gauge and it is working perfectly fine and no exhaust restrictions. Now, I'm questioning whether he really did the bypass at all. I looked, but don't see any wires that have been cut, spliced.... What are the visual indications that the bypass has been performed? After finding our awesome forum that has brought all of us together, I have seen many references to fuel pressure to be increased to 3 lbs. vs factory 2.5lbs, which might be my problem. Could someone please tell me how to increase the fuel pressure on my Carter BBD? I dunno. Is the TR TFI upgrade recommended, even without the bypass? Thanks for your replies. I'll post some pictures of the Jeep when I figure out how to do that as well. Regards, Todd
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2002, 11:01 AM
Way Outta Control

1. If the metering pins are being moved by the stepper motor... the Nutter Bypass ain't been done.
2. You should be able to follow the distributor wiring all the way over to the ignition module...

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2002, 11:06 AM

Yes the TR TFI upgrade is highly recommended even without the bypass. You should be impressed by the results (better idle, better acceleration etc)
Do a search on the bypass (I think there is page on ORC) if I remember well there are just two wires that are cut and rerouted close to the firewall, passenger side.

good luck !
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2002, 01:35 PM
Sell2docs

LEVE
I checked out the wires and they all seem to be intact and undisturbed, I guess. What are the components of the TR TFI upgrade and do I have to mess with timing and stuff like that when the install is complete? I forgot to mention that exhaust place that checked out the catalytic converter told me that my engine was burning hot. I believe that means its lean, right? He could tell that the engine was burning hot due to the graying color of the exhaust manifold and the proximal section of the exhaust pipe as it exits the manifold. Beyond the pretty blue color to a gray color, could this be an indication of not enough gas at 3k to keep the 258 from starving like an Ethiopian? Todd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode