Leaf Spring Opinions.... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 05:00 PM
85Jeepny

Leaf Spring Opinions....

I'm looking at upgrading the springs on the CJ, I have already converted to YJ springs so I'm looking at these lifts and looking for ride/flex quality opinions....

BDS 3.5"
Old Man Emu 2.5"
Rubicon Express Extreme duty 2.5"

Any opinions would be great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 08:14 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Leaf Spring Opinions....

As I got it, people mostly think that RE is among the best lifts around. OME should be somewhat more expencive, but with better ride quality. The BDS - I don't know.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 08:29 AM
Keyboard Implanted

A buddy of mine runs the BDS lift on his CJ7. Said it rides like a caddy compaired to his old Stock springs. Flexes pretty decent too. But remember this you're running YJ springs right now, they are flat, when you add an arch to the springs your creating more resistance when it comes to flexing, now you have to overcome the tensinon of the arch when compresing the spring. are you lookng for more lift? or Flex and ride quality? I'm assuming you're SOA with the YJ springs right? have you thought about Commando springs? I'm considering these for my SOA set up. they are longer from the center to the spring perch so you'll have to move your spring perch to accomodate, but it will make for a smoother ride and more flex over my stock springs. Don't know if they offer anymore lift over the YJ. But I'll definitly report it after I do the swap .

brent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 11:56 AM

I 'just' got my BDS springs, and haven't had a chance to test them out yet, but, these things look great and strong. I have heard good things about them
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 02:38 PM
Old Hand

RE SOA Springs 2" Lift.. I installed mine- alot stiffer (on the road atleast) than the stock YJ springs.. I haven't had a chance to wheel them but I run the 6 leaf (rear springs front and rear) and they are slightly arced.. they look like a lot more arc than my old flat springs though!!

I`ve talked to guys who have been running them for almost a year and wheeled them alot and they said no sagging yet!

www.mesa4x4.com is where I got mine!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 03:01 PM

If you can afford them, consider National's. From what I have heard, Alcans are also pretty good. National's are some great springs, and are custom cut to whatever size and specs you want them.

You can do some intersting things like change the center-pin position for steering or extra clearance, lengthen or shorten, more leaves, fewer leaves, and set the springs up for your specific front to rear and left to right weight. It is well worth the money.

Other than that, stay away from cheap springs -- especially those made in Mexico or China (I hate superlift leaves.) You will regret the purchase after you get some springs that bend and take a set the first time you are out.

Best regards

John
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 03:40 PM
85Jeepny

I'm wanting to run the springs SUA, I'm not sure if I want to go SOA, the wrangler springs have been re-arched so they have about 1.5" lift. I'm wanting to go with 2.5" to 3" SUA lift, I have my 1" MORE body lift and run 35" tires* (with trimming) to keep the COG down...just looking for ideas on which springs have the best ride/flex value.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode