CJ Door Latch Pillars - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

CJ Door Latch Pillars

I recently bought an out of state rust free tub from an 80 CJ7. I noticed when I got it home that the doors off my 81 have striker bolt latches while the 80 used some other type of latch. How easy is it to take the striker bolt pillar out of my old tub and put it in the new one? Is this the correct way to make the doors work. Does anyone know of a write up on how to do this conversion. I'm not worried aobut the welding that I assume is required, just making sure the door latches and lines up properly. Any advice would be great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 05:20 PM
Way Outta Control

Re: CJ Door Latch Pillars

Well, you've got several options... and none of them are inexpensive to do the job right.

1. Change Doors to the earlier "screen door latch" types, loosing the paddle door latch.
2. Install later model OEM Pillars into the 80 CJ tub.
3. Use fiberglass Tub Kit latches.

On the earlier tubs the body stiffener is a peice of metal going diagonial up from the wheelhouse to the rear of the door opening lip.

On the later tubs this stiffener has been replaced with a "B" pillar that also holds the seatbelt recoil assembly.

So you're choices are:
a. To replace the pillar ( 20 or so rivet welds)
b. Install the Fiberglass door latch kit for a flat tub wall and re-attach the seat belt to the flooring (don't forget to reinforce the mount area.).

IMHO, I'd install the OEM pillar to update the tub to the later standard and then install the OEM or aftermarket latche assemblies.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 11:18 PM

I'm with Larry (again) on this one ...
You can even order and rivet on those cute OEM plastic seat belt guards to the later style latch post housings (bottom pic above) to help keep the belt webbing from getting whacked and shreaded all time. [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 07:46 AM
Official Historian

Where can you get the B pillar from?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 08:28 AM

I ordered mine from the Jeep dealer asking for sets for a 1995 YJ to put on my CJ-7 to use with YJ full and half doors.
They mounted up easy as pie.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2002, 12:54 PM
Can't Get Enough

HESCO and Rosser Jeep also sell a piece that replaces the old screen door type latch on the body with a new style post catch. They are about $70/set which is why I haven't bought one yet. I have a set of new style posts at home from a newer tub, and I've been thinking about how to atach them. I didn't know you could buy the new stiffner. I may make them work yet!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2002, 01:03 PM

reading the other replies I may be way off target with this, but I put a set of 1/2 doors from a 93 YJ on my 86 CJ and I just took the door latches from a junkyard YJ. I think it cost me about $10 and 1/2 hour to do it. Just a couple of screws/bolts and I was done. Like I said though I may be misreading your post. You might be talking about something totally different.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2002, 01:35 PM
Way Outta Control

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
reading the other replies I may be way off target with this, ... Like I said though I may be misreading your post. You might be talking about something totally different.

[/ QUOTE ] Yep... You see the YJ and the CJ of your year share the same tub configuration so the swap is painless. However in the 81 (If I remember right) and earlier tub the configuration is different. There's no where to mount the newer style latch assemblies... because they mount on the pillar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode