Decisions, Decisions, Decisions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions

Well i can't decide what to do with my jeep.

Plan A is to get a beater and try and make it a good trail rig and i would have about $1000 to spend for the truck and the build up but i already have a set of 32" sx's and a winch to put on it along with some other little stuff form my tj. I would then get my TJ back to daily driver status which would involve re-building the dana 30, putting some 32" muds i have lying around on it, fix some little leaks and other issues the tj has.

Plan B is to keep building up my tj, it currentally has a 2" spacer lift, 32" sx's, massive trimming up front, mini spooled 8.8, winch, and some other little stuff. The dana 30 needs all new bearings and seals so i think i would ditch the dana 30 and swap a waggy d44 in up front. By the time the dana 44 was ready to go up front i'd have enough $$ to finish it. I would swap in a late model waggy d44, build my own brackets and then proabaly slap in some 4.56's, get some 6 lug 15x8's from the junk yard, get some adapters to run 6 lug wheels out back and if the money allowed put a lock right up front along with manual hubs (i don't see a major problem running drive flanges if i'm open up front). Only problem i see running 4.56's is to go 65 mph i'd be some where about 3200 rpms because i don't have over drive and 60mph would be at about 2900 rpms. My tj would still be my daily driver but i only drive about 5 miles round trip to and from school every day and usually that's the only time i drive my tj right now. After the d44 was in up front i'd be real tempted to pick up a cheep daily driver to use every day.

Keep in mind when I wheel i wheel hard and push my jeep to the limit every time i go out, i blew a 297 joint running 32" sx's up front but my joint wasn't in the greatest shape so that probably contributed to the breakage. I've started to build up my tj already so i'm real tempted to just continue with the build up. Also keep in mind this jeep has to be drivien to the trails and back because the $$ for a tow rig just doesn't exist right now.

BarrelRoll
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 07:25 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Decisions, Decisions, Decisions

You already have this much time and cash in it, You will end up with similar problems from a tow rig,, I would just keep building if I was only driving 10 miles a day. Besides it would take you months to beat up another trail rig as much as you have beat that tj...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 07:38 PM
Keyboard Implanted

just buy my tj from me...

actually.. Id build your tj.. first Id buy some new fenders.. but then I'd fix your d-30 untill the d-44 is done. my tj front d-44 is getting there...but im really taking my time with it because i want it to be perfect. I wouldnt (and didnt) use a waggy 44, I used a ford high pinion revers cut 44.. why not!!? ist stronger and gives better clearance. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 07:50 PM
Old Hand

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Plan A is to get a beater and try and make it a good trail rig and i would have about $1000 to spend for the truck and the build up

[/ QUOTE ]
Man, if you figure out how to do that, you'll make so much money selling the idea and plans to all of us you'll be driving a sniper on the trails before ya know it.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

Can you give me some more details elusive about your dana 44? I don't want to narrow a ford housing to make it work on my tj (yeah i could probably narrow a ford housing to use common waggy shafts but i don't really want to go through that trouble). I'm pretty sure i'm going to go with building the tj unless some one can send me another direction. I'm thinking one of these days i'll try throwing the inner fenders back in and then when i do my cage, paint and body work i'll chop another 2" off the hood and add some nice tube fenders to replace my hillbilly "fenders" with garden edging flares. My tj is my baby and it's not really worth anything except to me (dam russian rice boys in my auto class keep asking how much it's if i tried to sell it, they just don't get it).

BarrelRoll
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 11:05 PM

IMHO it'd be wasteful and expensive to 180* retro that TJ.
Plus, it's a great off-road platform to keep building on.
Hell, H8 and Kathy still drive his YJ to the grocery store!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 05:23 AM
Keyboard Implanted

$1000 is a pretty good place to start if you are planning to build your TJ. However you need to keep in mind that if you are building it is not going to be on the road, and not havnig a way to get around is a real pain. Sounds like you don't need to worry about that too much. But you know how projects like these go, if you plan for the jeep to be off the road for 3 weeks, then you will probably actually be rideless for closer to 2-3 months... At least that is how my life works.
Good luck with what ever you go with, and let us know how it comes out.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 08:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I started out wheeling my 97 Tj, 33" tires, winch, etc. I loved it. Never broke anything major but wheeled it very hard.

I ended up buying a $2000 CJ as a beater. Since I've dumped a lot of money into the cj and its getting there... (4 years later)

I now sold the TJ and drive a dually for a tow vehicle.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode