Real OT, Browning A-5? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Real OT, Browning A-5?

Would a 3inch chambered barrel work on an older A-5 receiver with an original 2 3/4 inch chamber?
I figured someone on here may have a newer A5 and could give some measurements of the ejection port, etc. Diagrams seem to look like it would work. I cant ever get through to Browning.
Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 02:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Real OT, Browning A-5?

It is my understanding that you CANNOT shoot 3" shells in a shotgun marked 2 3/4". It is the reciever measurement that matters, not the barrel. My hunting buddy wanted to do the same thing with a 870. His gunsmith said that he COULD NOT do so if he wanted to keep his fingers and eyes.
BE SAFE!
Grab
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 02:54 PM
Billybob015

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
It is my understanding that you CANNOT shoot 3" shells in a shotgun marked 2 3/4".

[/ QUOTE ]

It may be true that you cannot shoot a 3" shell from a 2 3/4" marked gun, but my old Winchester 20ga pump. has 3" AND 2 3/4" marked on the barrel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 03:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I understand that. My Benelli, Remington, and Valmet all say 2 3/4" OR 3" shells. However, if the shotgun's barrel orginally said 2 3/4" shells, that's all that you should shoot in them. I'd bet that when the A-5 in question was made, they didn't even have 3" shells.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 03:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I understand that. My Benelli, Remington, and Valmet all say 2 3/4" OR 3" shells. However, if the shotgun's barrel orginally said 2 3/4" shells, that's all that you should shoot in THAT shotgun. I'd bet that when the A-5 in question was made, they didn't even have 3" shells.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 03:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sorry for the double post!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 07:56 PM
Aprentice

You can put the 3" (Heavy 12) barrel on the 2 3/4 " (Light 12) receiver and shoot 2 3/4" shells just fine but I don't believe the receiver will accomodate the 3" shells properly.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 08:16 PM

wont work, positive on this, the shell will fit in the chamber and you might be able to get it to load but it will jam on the way out. Don't modify you A5 it is a great gun, keep it original

Tony
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 08:35 PM

I'm not sure but I know who can give you a answer if you can't get through to Browning.

Call Ahlmans Guns at 507-685-4243 9-5 m-sat central time.
They are one of the best gun shops in the country good old-fashion service and very friendly helpful people. You just can't find many places like this anymore I wouldn't buy or have a gun repaired anyplace else no matter where I lived. If you buy a gun at Cabela's and have problems this is where they send it (at least the one by me) They are a factory-authorized repair for Rem, Browning, Winchester, Weatherby and Llama/Bersa.

Here's there site also Ahlman's
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 08:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I agree that will probably work fine. But what happens when the next guy who picks up the doesn't know about the switch? What happens if he looks at the barrel, sees 3" shells and loads one, then pulls the trigger. An 870 with a 2 3/4" chamber will load a 3" shell. I hope to have an A-5 one day. I'm not trying to start a flame, I was trying to answer a question-
Good luck to all-
Grab
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode