O/T thinking about a ZJ, any advice? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 12:32 PM
toadmcd

O/T thinking about a ZJ, any advice?

I've done some searches in the mid-size and full-size forums wanting to know some things to look for in a used ZJ. They've covered it, but not in much detail. This board moves faster anyway, and i figured a few of you guys had ZJ's too. anyway i was looking at a 94 with high miles (140k) and a rebuilt V8. its a good price but I wanted to know if there was anything in paticular I should be looking for in a rebuilt engine and if there are any known common problems with the 94 grands i should be aware of. any advice would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 12:49 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: O/T thinking about a ZJ, any advice?

Only advice I have is steer clear of '95 production year.... that includes late '94 and Early '96 in my books. Everyone I've known that had a '95 had problems and ended up really disliking Jeeps after they owned them. If it's a '94 and the engine was rebuilt, I'd be a little hesitant about it. Also, Pay close attention to the Trannies. I had a '93 and now have a '98, and With both there seemd to be an inherant problem. they tranny slips and skips around. Still haven't figured out what's causing it. It may just need an adjustment, I'm not sure yet.

brent
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 01:10 PM

My little sis has one, an 00 or 01 I think, its a V8 I think its a 318, and Ive heard its a roller cam engine, either way its STRONG as heck, really too much for the lightweight truck, on rain, or snow, its very squirrely when it shifts, the rear end will break loose on a rainy road changing into 2nd under light throttle.

and it DRINKS gas, Id be very leary of the tranny also, I figure its a a518, and Chrysler doesnt have a great reputation for OD automatics.

to me it rides and drives much like any old XJ, pretty stiff to me, and the radius arms up front make noises just like the older ones did.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 03:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The '00/'01 (WJ) V8s are either the 4.7L or the 4.7LHO. The ZJ body style ('93-'98) does have tranny problems. A large percentage end up getting rebuilt between 80K and 100K. With the V8, you should have the 249 t-case. If it is the quadratrac, chances are the VC is bad. Drive in tight figure-8s and see if there are any noises or vibrations or jerking. Do this after driving for a while and getting everything warmed up. Replacing the VC is about the same cost as a whole new t-case.

I hope you're getting a good deal on this, b/c there are several ZJs out there that can be had for great prices.

Overall though - they're great vehicles. They can wheel. I love mine.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 03:28 PM

I'd be interested to hear why you suggest steering clear of the '95 production year. I have a '95, have had it for 3 years, has 120k miles, has gotten me to the mountains through mud and snow countless times without fail. The tranny did get rebuilt under warranty at around 100k miles, but other than that it has been a great vehicle. The 318 is a great engine for the ZJ...it really goes when you want it to.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 04:22 PM
toadmcd

Thanks for the advice, I'll keep an eye on the tranny when test driving. What would you guys consider a "good price" for one of these.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 04:48 PM

zj,wj DUH

sorry! ignore me

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 07:02 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Hey Dan, What I know and have heard about the '95's are that DC's Quality Control really slacked off for that production period and I've heard several accounts of people getting lemons, Not just ZJ's either. Also, Take a look in your local Truck trader, what year is more prevelant? I see an awefull lot of '95's for sale around here. It's obviuosly not to say that you aren't gonna have a problem with other production years, or that your aren't gonna get a good Jeep made in '95, I'm just saying the DC's QC dropped for a time in '95.

brent
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 08:26 AM

I'd say for a 94, around 5 or 6 grand, assuming you've got the V-8 and it's got some bells & whistles and its privately owned. If you're not looking for a ton of pickup, I'd look for one with a 4.0 in it. I have a few friends with ZJs, one's a 97 Limited with a 318, AWD with the 4-lo option (ick...not sure of the T-case name) and a D44 limited Slip out back (nice touch) and one's a 96 with the Up-Country suspension, factory skids (nice touch) a LSD in the rear D35 and a 4.0L. I've taken them both through the same sand pits before, but keep that a secret cause the Limited belongs to one of my best friends and she'd kick the SH!T out of me if she knew I was beating on her baby. They were both about even when it came to running up sand hills and stuff, no real advantage with the V-8. The 4.0L has a lot of low end torque and it holds its own real well in this area.

The only real difference is on the road. the 318 is really quick stoplight to stoplight and passing on the highway, but the 4.0L just DOESN'T have it in a big vehicle like that. I'd pick the 318 just cause I come from a go-fast family and it's in my blood, but if you don't need that extra OOMPH to always be the first one off the line at the stoplight I'd start looking for a 4.0L. Good reliable engine, slightly better mileage, and it's cheaper too! Just a thought.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode