Can I Jump start my own Jeep? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Can I Jump start my own Jeep?

With the onset of cold weather it is time for me to start thinking about putting the jumper cabels where they are easy to get to.
It is possible to use a spare battery to Jump yourself. Here would be an example. Go out in the AM to go to work, Jeep won't start. Could I go in my back room and get a spare battery, hook the cabels to that bat, and the one in my jeep and then start it? would the hook up be the same as if the other battery was in another car. Pos to Pos Neg to Neg?
When I was done, and my jeep was running, I could put the spare Battery on a charger and it would be ready for the next time?
What do you all think, would it work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 11:07 AM
BMF

Re: Can I Jump start my own Jeep?

Yes you can jump start your jeep with a good battery and it would be positive to positive and negative to negative. If you don't already have a spare battery you could get one of those jumpstart packs, much smaller and lighter. I carry one in my jeep for now since I no longer have my optima and I don't trust my current battery.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 11:19 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

I agree that you can jumpstart yourself that way. Where I worked over the summer we carried a large jump pack in our trucks in case we needed to jump start guests cars (I worked security at a Six Flags). But I disagree with BMF on how to hook the batteries up. Hook up the Positive to Positive, and the Negative from the Jumper battery to a ground under your hood, NOT on the negative port of your Jeeps battery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 11:21 AM

I don't see why it wouldn't work. The only issue you might have is if your Jeep starts really hard in the cold the spare battery might not have enough juice to last. You lose a little voltage from the cables and connections. There are several self jumper kits on the market. everstart-batteries is just one. Do a web search for emergency jump starting and there will be several. Of course all these kits are is a good battery with built in cables and charger.

Keep in mind that proper jump starting is Pos to Pos and good battery Neg to dead car frame not other Neg terminal. Jumping with Neg to Neg has a good chance of exploding your battery from igniting battery gas discharges.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 11:45 AM
BMF

That's some good info to know, I'll definitely remember to go negative to negative ground next time, I'm glad I learned this from you guys and not first hand experience [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img].
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 12:44 PM
Way Outta Control

1. If you have to jump the battery to start the battery is discharged.
2. If you parallel the spare battery it will have:
a. Provide enough current to start the vehicle.
b. While at the same time attemting to "charge" the discharged battery.
3. If it's very, very cold out the jumper battery may not be able to handle this. [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
4. Here's a chance to fill a need, install a DUAL BATTERY system w/isolation. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
5. Then you can jump start yourself with sittin' in the cab at the flick of a swich. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
6. With a little welding, a little scrounging you can easily fab a dual system for < 50$ and use that spare battery to it's fullest. [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
7. At least that's what I did while in the Midwest, and it worked fine.
8. No muss. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
9. No fuss. [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
10. No cussin'. [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
11. Always had plenty of current to spin that motor! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Thanks for the great info. It is a good point about the neg to ground. I would use this hook up system if I need to jump the jeep. Better safe than anything else.
Having two batterys under the hood would be great, and there is every reason to do it. But there is also a really good reason not to. This is my winter Jeep. And the goal of this jeep is to spend little or nothing, I am saving Jeep money for the SBC and axel swap. I would rather use my spare battery and deal with the hassel than put money into the beater. Hopefully when my YJ has the V8 new trans and new axels it will all have been worth the trouble.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 01:46 PM
Way Outta Control

He He ---- Nope - can't work.
It works to jump someone else.
It works when someone else jumps yours.

But to jump yourself -- No way!

Unless of course the other battery belongs to someone else!

Sorry, the thread struck me funny, I just had to share.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 05:28 PM
pig

Ive tried that a few times with no luck ,maybe my cables were too whimpy but when I hooked the same cables to a running car they worked fine. I think the guy (woops! person) who said the good battery would be trying to charge the dead one and also start the car makes sense. I also swaped the battery that would not jump stsrt the dead one directlly in and removed the dead one and the beast started. Im not pretending to be an electrical guru Im just speaking from personal experience. Have a nice day. Pig
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 06:30 PM

when you parrallell 2 batteries does it equal the lowest voltage, or do they equalize somewhere in the middle?

My father (E.E.) has told me but ive slept since then.

basically the battery with the higher voltage flows into the battery with less voltage, so yes you would be better off unhooking the weak battery, and using the GOOD battery.

a cheap way would be one of those battery disconnect switches, when its dead, just jumper cable to the good battery (external battery) and turn the battery disconnect off ( disconnecting the weak internal battery)

after it starts you can turn teh internal batt back on and unhook jumper cables

but honestly after about 2 times, id just fix the charging system, or run teh GOOOD battery in the Jeep!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode