O/T Christmas Dirt Bike - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 07:36 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

O/T Christmas Dirt Bike

Off Topic, but looking for some opinions.
Its buying time again and Im getting my son a dirt bike so he can start to enjoy/appreciate offroad fun also. For his size and experience level, I have been looking at Yamahas PW-80. Any other parents out there purchased this bike?? Any complaints or concerns associated with this model?? Thanks and have a great Christmas!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2002, 02:33 PM
mudracer

Re: O/T Christmas Dirt Bike

My brother had one for his son. It was a good starter bike for him. He had training wheels to start out. Now he has moved up to another bike and has started racing. I think the resale value is very good, so you shouldn't lose much when he's ready to move up.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2002, 07:54 AM

How old is your boy? I was wanting to find an XR 50 myself. It's small enough for my daughter to learn on and has a 3sp auto clutch. Yet it is strong enough for me to play and stunt on. Ever seen a 190lb man ride wheelies or do endos on one? [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 964575-dan2.jpg (20.0 KB, 1 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2002, 07:55 AM

[img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 964576-dsc00032.jpg (12.4 KB, 1 views)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2002, 10:26 AM

OK Dirt, thats just funny, I never thought I'd ever see that.
But I was just wondering this, but for myself. I'm 22, and I'd like to get a dirt bike, but really have no experience on one. I've noticed resell values are rather high, is it better to just get a new one? am I an idiot for doing that? What is a modest size to start with, I'm a lightweight. Any suggestions?
Just curious.

thanks
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2002, 10:55 AM

For starters, a 125 is really the transition bike between the toys and the real thing. anything smaller (100cc and lower) is really child's play IMO.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2002, 12:18 PM

If your not going to race and want a good/fun/reliable bike to trail ride and have a blast on I would say look at the XR 250 Honda. Not a toy. Not too wild. Has plenty of torque (4 stroke) and has fair power. It will go just about anywhere you will ever want too.
How tall are you? Weight? It really makes a big difference. I'm short. I have always had a kinda tough time on my bigger bikes. I've had CR 450, 480 and 2 500's. Those were full blown MX bikes and were a handfull. I would not recomend one of those to a new rider. But if you are a really big guy and have some bike experience then an XR 600 should be fine too. They have tons of power and torque but it's real mello power. Not peaky like 2 strokes.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2002, 12:53 PM

Not looking to race, just trails and what not. I'm 5'10" and about 135lbs. I was looking at the 250's but wasn't sure, what sure what brand had a better reputation, and all that kind of stuff.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2002, 01:49 PM
Way Outta Control

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
but looking for some opinions.

[/ QUOTE ]I've been biting my tounge on this post. I've been dressed down for "lecturing" members before, so that ain't news. Kinda like "why ya puttin' your nose where it don't belong?" attitude. So I understand that my opinion ain't gonna be too popular....but I just gotta voice it.

So with that forwarning read on or ignore the rest , it's your choice.

1. I'm a firm believer that a kid just ain't smart enough to handle a trail bike in all situtations .
2. That includes if the parents are riding with him or not...
3. It's not a matter of size,
4. but of maturity. We all think our kids are mature and can handle a motorcycle. Too many parents are mistaken.
5. Ya give something like this to the kid and he ain't gonna value it... he's not sacrificed anything for it.
6. He's gonna ride it.
7. While he's riding he's gonna stretch the design envelope of the bike...
8. That's just what kids do.
9. It's just plain unsafe for the kid.
10. The don't call 'em "donorcycles" for nothing!
11. IMHO... give the kid:
a. A new set of tools,
b. A gift certificate to be redeemed at the local Motorcycle wrecking yard.
c. Be there with him as he's picking out the parts.
12. While the kid's picking out his parts he can contemplate how the bike got there in the first place....
13. It's a teaching moment to help him grow and mature correctly.
14. Hopefully it'll be a lesson learned.
15. Anyway, whatever the choice, you'll soon know.
16. Best of luck to the both of you......
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2002, 02:06 PM

LEVE I'm not sure that I totally agree with you on this. Dangerous? Yes. But that is how I learned responsabilty. I had to show that I could do it. I was shown the right way to do it. I also was not allowed to ride if I had done something wrong. It also allowed my motor skills to develop better than most. I was 8............yes 8 when I got a 250. And it was a MX bike. Quite fast too. Why? I had already been riding for 4 years on some sort of motorcycles at that point.
Why are they any different than a jeep? Or a gun at a young age. They can be just as deadly if used wrong.
You know better than 99% of us that the truth is in the teaching. Plain and simple.
Things can happen. Always have , always will. A plane might fall from the sky.
Teach long, hard and right and a bike is no more dangerous than any power tool. Right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode