Installing a NP435 in a jeep, is this right - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2002, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Installing a NP435 in a jeep, is this right

Don't worry about the transfer case end.

I will be swapping a ford np435 into my cj-8 with the 258 and t4. I've been gathering information and want to know if this is all right.

I can use my bell housing (t4) and drill holes in it.

A conversion pilot bushing is required from novak or advanced. Is there any other way to do it?

Use a 10.5" ford clutch with my amc flywheel and pressure plate.

What do I do about the throw out bearing? Will my amc fork work with the ford bearing? Or how is it done? I didn't find any info on this part.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 03:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Installing a NP435 in a jeep, is this right

I'm using a bellhousing from a mid 80's F150/250, and using the 11 " flywheel and fork from the same truck. I don't know if that will bolt to the 258 tho (this is being bolted to a 302). The input shaft for the NP435 is the same as the T4/5, but the output shaft is different. Depending on what application the NP435 came out of (4wd divorced, 4wd, or 2wd) the output shaft will be longer or shorter, but the spline count is different too. The Novak adapter comes with a new output shaft, and fits like a glove. You can probably just order the output shaft from them too if you don't want the whole adapter.

I will compare the AMC fork/throw out bearing to the Ford fork/throw out bearing tonight and post back differences.

Mike
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 03:43 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

If you go to an older "REAL" part store. Their books on the counter will have the dimensions of the pilot bushings. Just compare the one for the NP435, to the one for the T4. When I did my 5.0 swap (originally a 302 swap) everybody said I needed a special pilot shaft bushing. But the T150 pilot shaft I.D. was the same as used on the FORD transmission.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 05:48 PM
JMZ
Journeyman

Ryan , I have the 258, 435, T-176 bellhousing. I am going to start putting a 350 in my Jeep the 17th of this month. I am going to sell everything I do`nt need. The 176 housing bolts sraight up. I live in Gonzales . E-mail me if you might be interested in anything or any questions. It has been a while since I put it in there . I did get a different pilot bushing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode