AMC auto tranny swap - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2002, 02:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

AMC auto tranny swap

360/727/D300. I'm swapping out the 727 for a 999. The potential issues I see are:

1. The 360 is externally balanced, while the 258 is internal. So I need a flywheel that will fit a 999.
2. I need to find a torque converter that will bolt to the 360 flywheel, but will fit the skinnier (than 727) input shaft.
3. The output shaft should be the same size as the 727, to bolt to the D300.
4. The bolt patterns front and rear should be the same.

Anyone got any info on these?

Also - I'm pretty sure it's a 999. The part number on the tranny lists as an auto for an 85-86 CJ with a 258. That would make it the 999, but the pump in the bellhousing (or was it the shaft bearing?) has a Chrysler symbol on it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2002, 04:15 PM
Addict

Re: AMC auto tranny swap

I would use the 999 torque converter and the flywheel from the 360/TF727 will bolt up to the 999 torque convertor. This is what I used when I mated a 360 with a TF999.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2002, 04:35 PM
Veteran

It has a Chrysler symbol because it is a Chrysler transmission. Chrysler Torque Flite 999. More commonly called a TF-999.

Just out of curiousity why would you go from the 727 to a 999? Most people go the other way around. The 727 is a brute tranny and the 999 is considered medium duty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2002, 05:42 PM
Old Hand

There is no flywheel with the autos. They used a flexplate.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 07:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

jeeper2 - That's what I was thinking. I tried to tell the guy at the tranny shop that (doesn't the flywheel have two different sets of bolt holes or something?), but he wasn't sure.

spook - I'm doing the swap so I can fit my front driveshaft. I've explored every option, and this swap is the easiest. I don't want to lift the Jeep, as I intend to sell it to focus on my other Jeep. It's much easier to sell a non-lifted, perfect condition CJ than a lifted trail rig.

lindy - uh....might want to check on that. As I understand it, flywheel versus flexplate depends on whether the motor's crankshaft is internally or externally balanced. That's the purpose of a flywheel - to balance the crank if it's not already balanced. In the case of a 360, it's not. In a 258, it is.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 07:29 AM
Veteran

I agree with this statement:

There is no flywheel with the autos. They used a flexplate.

Anyone else want to clarify this?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 07:46 AM
Way Outta Control

Yep...that is correct.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 07:47 AM
Official Historian

A flex plate is a flywheel too but to make it easy to distinguish, it is called a flex plate for an automatic and a flywheel for a manual. Calling it an automatic transmission flywheel or manual transmission flywheel is perfectly accurate.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 07:59 AM

all of the TF tranny flexplates ive seen have 2 sets of holes, I assume for the larger cased tf trannys, and the smaller cased trannys.

I also assume the converters to interchange between same size cased Tf trannys, as long as you dont swap a lockup for a non lockup.

a flywheel gives a counterweight to help balance an engine, and also helps it to continue to rotate when loaded quickly.

an automatic flexplate doesnt need the extra mass because its bolted to the converter which has about teh same mass as a flywheel, a flexplate is just a thin round metal thing with a gear to get started and usually a small weight for the proper counter weight.

is the case visibly smaller than the tf727s case?
If the pan will clear the driveshaft I guess thats all that mattters since yoru trying to sell it, biut I wouldnt rely on its original application alone as a definitive ID.

the flexplate you have now should work, the converter from teh 727 may or may not, if it fits the pump nozzle and drive slot, and the flexplate itll work ( obvioulsy).

there is quite a mess in my head between the 998,999,904, and 727

I hope IM not leading you astray!

post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 11:17 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm hoping the flexplate/flywheel will work. The converter won't work, as the size of the input shafts is different between the 727 and 999.

There's a little confusion here. What's the difference between this:

Attached Images
File Type: png 961709-flexplate.png (27.8 KB, 142 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode