Camshaft Advice for 302/5.0L HO - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Camshaft Advice for 302/5.0L HO

Anyone running a 302 HO (5.0L) with anything other than a stock camshaft? I'm currently in the middle of a rebuild and I'm pondering whether or not to put an aftermarket cam in. I would guess I'd need a cam with low-end and mid-range power. I will be running a Ford T18 w/ a 1980 CJ7 factory rear end. Any advice? TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 12:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Camshaft Advice for 302/5.0L HO

I'm running a Stock cam in my Crown Vic 1987 5.0 with a T-18. The V-8 came from an auto so (I am told) it is already sort of set up for low end torque. Of course its stock low end and yes you can get a monster low cam I'm sure but I can tell you my engine has PLENTY of low end torque. I was running 34" tires and jumped to 36" this weekend(4:88:1 in Diffs). Yes there was a difference in power but I can still take off in 2nd gear (2 high) and drive up steep hills in 4th. + with the T-18 I have plenty of Low gear and tourque.
My advice is stay stock with the motor. If you have problems in the future (idling, etc..) it will be easier to troubleshoot.

My 2

Big_MARK
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 01:42 PM

The stock 5.0 HO camshaft is a great cam for your Jeep. It is designed for low end torque and to work perfectly with your computer. Nice smooth idle at 600 rpm.
Power really kicks in around 1500 RPM.
Most of the roller cams on the market for the 5.0 are aimed at the go fast crowd and will move the torque and HP peaks farther up the RPM band.
I have been looking for one specifically for trucks and have not been able to find any. There are a few flat tappet cams specifically for truck type applications but not many. I would stick with the stock roller.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll probably stick with the stock cam. and replace the lifters for good measure. I'm really anxious to see the performance difference this motor will make.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 09:10 PM
RedSandDog

What was your total cost for putting in a 5.0?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2002, 03:49 AM

I am not sure that replacing the lifters is a good idea. the cam and lifters have worn them selves to each other and I havent heard of any 5.0 guys changing them even when they put a new cam in. Might want to call some engine builders and ask them but I think the roller style last a long time. A good upgrade would be to put roller rockers on it to reduce friction and make your engine run smoother and cooler. I agree with leaving the stock cam in also.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2002, 08:33 AM

Is the 5.0 replacing the 4cyl in the CJ in your profile? Well if you are used to 4cyl power you are in for a big treat with the 5.0.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2002, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

Yep, the 302 is replacing the ole Iron Duke. I'm sure there'll be a huge difference.

Lumpy85, I appreciate the input on the lifters. I was wondering the same thing myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode