weber tuning - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 11:11 AM
gman

weber tuning

tried a search for this but couldn't find an answer. any way finaly got the jeep fired up after the engine rebuild and trying to get the weber tuned. I have the 38mm outlaw so there are two mixture screws. I bought the jet kit and have replaced the idle jets all the way up to 60's. seems to run much better with these jets. the problem is with off idle and decelaration. if I'm coming to a quick stop the engine stumbles to almost a stall. and thought maybe I need to replace the air correctors or something since I'm all the way up to 60's on the idle jets? the other things done to the motorare; 258 bored .030 over, milled head, 0 decked block, comp cam 260h,3 angle valve job , borla header, 38mm weber ,tr upgrade and painless wiring harness. thanks in advance you guys have been a great help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 03:52 PM
BigMan

Re: weber tuning

I fought with this same problem for a long time. Never did figure it out. I was driving around with the idle up so it wouldn't die on my wife. There was always a problem with that carb. I finnally replaced it with a holly 390 cfm 4 barrel. Good luck. thier customer service sucks too. and just try finding info on the web for them. All I could ever find was the same lame directions you get with the carb. i hear they run great once you get them right, if that ever happens.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2002, 08:35 AM
gman

thanks bigman, yeah therecustomer service does suck! I figured there was probly more experience with this thing here. It doesn't run bad just needs some fine tuning, anyone else have experience with the weber???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 05:12 AM
tkcomer

Im not familiar with the 38. I have the 32/36. Did you E-mail Redline Weber? The service is slow but they can generally zero in on the problem. You need to tell them exactly what you have and when they E-mail you back, be prepared to answer a bunch of questions. After a few days of this they will start to give suggestions on what they think is wrong. The Weber is kind of simple. Once you realize that they work differently than other carbs. Trying to tune it like a Holley wont work. I know. Hope this helps.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 07:09 AM

try this ......http://www.carbs.net/Weber/Tech/38_dgas_tunning.htm i think this should get you going in the right direction. heres the address for a kit that has all the stuff you need to eliminate the 2500 rpm flat spothttp://www.4by4connection.com/weberjetpac.html .....Von Warner
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 07:16 AM

Sounds like you have some other problem going on there. When you did the idle kit, did you re-adjust the idle mix correctly with the idle mix screws? Was it set to the correct # of turns? In the end, your engine is governed by its correct mixture requirements -- not the jets that are sold in a kit.

Is the thing bogging and stalling, leaning out and stalling, or ignition cutting out and stalling? Is this a manual or an auto?

Have you checked the ignition timing?

How about the EGR valve? PCV?

Best regards

John
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 05:13 PM
gman

thxs to all, no, I haven't email redline weber yet, I'll try that. I spoke to there tech dept. and they advised the jet-pac for the carb. The tuning was the same advice, 1/2 turn out on the idle set screw and turn in the idle mixture screws till rpm fluctuates then back out till best lean idle. repeat this and change the idle jets till you can run 1/2 turn out on idle set screw and 1-1 1/2 on the idle mixture screws. The carb came with #45 idle mix jets I changed to #50s then #55s and finaly #60s. I was just thinking if I've increased the fuel that much that the air correctors that came with the kit should probly be increased. As for the timing, I'm running it at 10 deg. as per the comp. cams guys. Any thing else you think I should check?? as for the decelaration the rpms drop way down when I come to an abrupt stop with the clutch in--oh yeah its a stick, to the point of stalling or almost stalling, then recovers.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 03:20 PM

The weber will require you to re-time the engine when you change them. You have to do it the old-fasioned power-tune method..... up till it pings and then back down till it stops pinging on accel, then back another 1-2*. That works best with the Weber. You might find that you are not exactly where the engine wants to be.

The thing with the 1/2 turn on the idle speed is for tuning the jets correctly -- at ~1/2 turn, the mains have not come in yet. What rpm does the motor idle at with 1/2 turn? Once you get the jets tuned right, then you set the idle back up to mfg recommended idle specs so you get correct oil pressure and don't scuff the main bearings.

Does it do the same thing when you are sitting still and let off the gas fast -- or just when you are decelerating? If it only when you are decelerating, I would re-set the float height.

Another dumb question, but what about your emissions stuff? Is any of it still hooked up? Sometimes that stuff does not work like you think it does..... and sometimes blocking off stuff makes some vacuum and electrical things turn on instead of turning off.

Best regards

John
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 06:21 PM
gman

thxs john, I'll have to try timing it again. As for the emmissions stuff, I still have the egr, and pcv thats it.yes it does do it sitting still when the throttle is snapped closed. b ut not as bad as when driving. I did readjust the idle spped screw after tuning but not quite 3/4 just to bring the rpm up to 700.Can't play with it right now as it is home and I'm at work but will try the timing tommorow when I get home. thxs Gary
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2002, 10:20 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

When you say you still have the EGR, do you mean it is hooked up? '81-'82's don't require it, cap it off at the EGR and CTO. If it's capped off and adjusting the timing doesn't help, it sounds like you have a vac leak or the hoses are mis-routed. Either would cause poor idle as would a bad PCV or Evap cannister. Good luck - Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode