snow coming sometime, CJ not going anywhere - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

snow coming sometime, CJ not going anywhere

Id like to get this fixed soon so i can play in all the snow were gonna get (hopefully)

my dang t-150 has been down for a while because it was making a grinding noise in 3rd gear, well i took it apart not too long ago and found the only gear that was chewed was the reverse idler gear which is at the very bottom of the tranny, and like most other people i have not messed with the innards of a standard transmission, but i am very mechanically inclined and could probably do it myself but-

my ? is, is it worth replacing that gear or go nuts trying to find a replacement t-150 around here? and is it very hard?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 12:02 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: snow coming sometime, CJ not going anywhere

While its down rebuild the whole thing... new seals and such... good experience... thats what I would do in your situation. [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

ive thought about doing that but i was also wondering of a good company that could send me the parts for next to nothing (well cheap anyways) i thought i seen that quadratec had tranny parts but didnt look into it too much..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 05:48 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hi LJordan,
If you plan on a rebuild the best place I found for parts(any)is at www.allstate4wd.com,or at www.jeepdoc.com .If you right click on the pic. then open it in a new window it will give you a full screen view you can print out.I find it handy for reference.(you probably knew that)
These are the 2 places I have found with the best $ so far.
GOOD LUCK [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 06:49 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Rebuilding a manual transmission?

How hard are manual transmissions to rebuild? I've never touched a manual transmission, always just replaced them. My T176 is giving me some grief, and I'd like to rebuild it myself. But it's my only vehicle and it can't be down for more than a weekend. I'd hate to tear it apart, and then find out I have to order something else. I looked at some of the "master overhaul" kits, but none seem to contain the sychros or gears. Seems like the sychos would be an OBVIOUS requirement.

soooo.... how do you know? I was thinking of pulling the top off and looking into the transmission. But it's basically not shifting smooth (I'm assuming sychros) and has a MAJOR whine to it (louder than the driver's). I'm assuming that's a bearing. If I look down in the transmission I doubt that I'd reconize any problems, unless they were major. And then I wouldn't think the tranny would work as well as it is.

Any suggestions? Any manuals I can read ahead of time?

Thanks in advance.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 08:36 AM

Re: Rebuilding a manual transmission?

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I've never touched a manual transmission, always just replaced them.

[/ QUOTE ]
To rebuild a standard tranny is really quite simple but unless you have the patience and tools required it might take a little longer than the weekend. But you should be able to complete this in one day if:

you have all the parts [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
have done this before and know what to expect [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
you don't drop the needle bearings out and not see where they went [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
you don't break some thing in the process of removing the tranny and trans case [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

It would have been nice to keep one of the trannies you changed out. This would have given you the option of having the time to rebuild a tranny and getting the experience. Not to mention save a little money in the process [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 10:45 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

LJordan, I'm not quite sure where in MO you are located, but I have a T-150 in the Chicago area. To be honest I've never opened it up, or driven my Jeep with it in it. The PO of my Jeep had swaped it out for a T-18 which is all I've ever driven with. He gave me the original T-150 though, so its taking up space in my shed. I won't ever be able to use it again because of the setup I'm running so I want to get rid of it. If you would be interested in it I can open it up and take a look to see what condition it seems to be in. I've never repaired a tranny, so I'd be looking for obvious things that are busted. I know its probly not as soon as you need it, but I can do this in about two weeks from today (Dec. 1). Let me know and I'll see if I can help.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

well im kinda far away, im in the south west corner of Mo. that would be one hell of a drive for a tranny and shipping would probably cost more than the tranny itself [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

but anyways thanks for the offer, now if i could just get an offer like that around here [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I looked at some of the quadretec prices and it looks like 50 somthin for the reverse idler gear and i think 30 somthin for the small parts kit, which it didnt say what came in it... ill check out that other site and hopefully they will have better prices and decent shipping or, just maybe somebody around here has 1 that hasnt spoken up yet [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode