Tire Tubes? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

Tire Tubes?

Since i'm not really going to be wheeling the tj any more if my dj deal goes through i want to put my 32" generals back on and put the sx's on the postal, but one of the generals has a sliced side wall. My buddy runs tubes in his burnt 33" tsl's but it's a trail only rig. Could i put a tube in it and run it all the time? Would i need to put tubes in all my tires or just the one with the slice? Will it be safe?

Barrelroll
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 09:57 PM
Old Hand

Re: Tire Tubes?

You might want to check local regulations.
Here in Maryland it's against the law to repair a sidewall.
Personally I wouldn't try it, Legal or not. [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 10:12 PM
Official Curmudgeon

Yep, get a replacement, a sliced sidewall is a blowout just looking for a place to happen even with a tube in it. If it's much of a slice, it'll just pinch the tube and cut it anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 07:52 AM
I Do This For The Glory

I have repaired many sidewalls, with great success, and have never run a tube either. However, I would not recommend running them on the road, just on the trail.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

Jeepn how have you repaired sidewalls? Finding a 32" general mud is next to imposable because they have been out of production for a while.

BarrelRoll
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 12:47 PM
Old Hand

Jeeper99xj: ... I have READ so many posts from you regarding mods for your jeep.. full width, transfercase, etc.. etc.. and now the postal jeep, etc.. etc.. and now your not going to wheel your TJ ever again etc.. etc...

WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO????????????

I AM SO CONFUSED!!

Each week it's something new!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

I was going to go with 1 tons on my tj but then decided that it's my daily driver and i don't have the $$ to do it right so i'm pulling the 32" swampers off, putting 32" muds on, pulling out the mini spooled 8.8 and puting a d35 back on and fixing the pinion bearing so i have 4wd again. I'll probably wheel it a little though not that much as i build up the postal. The plans for the postal are 258, granny 4 speed (probably sm465), a t-case (maybe d300 if i can get a cheep adapter), soa on offset waggy springs, waggy d44's, welded rear and my 32" sx's for now. Also planning on chopping the body up and a wicked cage. Then when $$ allows 4.88's, an arb up front and 36" sx's. The postal build up was going to be much more grand and i originally wanted to put a 5.0, 1 tons and 38's or 42's but that's just out of the question right now and instead i'm going to have a decent trail jeep.

barrelroll
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 01:13 PM
Old Hand

Why don't you just save up your money until you can afford what you want to do instead of just throwing stuff together...

Here's an idea... sell the Postal... with the $ you get buy a Honda or Toyota Car for a daily driver, then save up to build up your TJ for wheeling... TJ will wheel far better than a postal STOCK and since you don't have a lot of money to make the POSTAL a great wheeler it's more practical...

That's my opinion :P
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

I've thought about the civic idea but my parents dont like that one (they still own the tj) and i really like driving my tj. The postal will be able to out preform the tj on 36's no problem and will cost much less to properly run 36's compared to my tj. The only realy down fall of the postal will be having a carb though adventually i'll swap it out for a 5.0, just not right now. I'm trying to use the "best" parts and not just throw stuff together.

BarrelRoll
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 09:57 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Well, I took the tire off the rim, gouged the inside and outside down about 1/16", with a wire wheel on the angle grinder, cleaned it with the tire patch cleaner, and used some NAPA Super Strength Tire Glue, not the regular stuff, it doesn't hold for crap. Then I used two 4.5" 2 ply patches, one inside and one outside. Attach the inside one first and make sure you get all of the ait out from underneath it with the little wheel use for such a purpose (NAPA will know what it is). Then attach the outside patch the same way. When you put the glue on, make sure you use it liberally and let it dry to a tack before you put the patch on, which goes on middle first, then outside edges (fold the patch in half, it's easier, and you hold both the outside edges).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode