Slat grill in the junkyard, it just makes me sick - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

Slat grill in the junkyard, it just makes me sick

I just came from the junkyard looking for a set of front springs from a flat fender to put on my old m416 jeep trailer (mine are shot-totally rusted away).

Well, what's that sitting up on top of 4 stacked cars, waiting to be crushed but an old flat fender, let's climb up and have a look. Well. It's got a slat grill. Wasn't I just reading about those in the illustrated jeep buyers guide by Jim Allen? Yes I was. It should have a stamped WILLYS on the left rear panel-sure enough there it is. Made somewhere between 1941-1942. Grill is mangled (probably by the forklift that put it here), steering wheel and column mangled, missing hood and windsheild, no wheels, no motor. Has a flathead four in the back seat, which has JEEP cast into it along with what appears to be the date 8-48. Didn't the old flatheads have WILLYS cast in them not JEEP? Gauges didn't look original and were busted. Tried to get the pintle hook off but wouldn't budge. Tried for the front springs but same thing. Went to the front desk to inquire about them removing the springs for me and they said it was to much work to get it down, it's going to the crusher. I'm in Hawaii of all places. I wonder how it got here? I couldn't find any data plates. Makes me sick to see a rare piece of history going to the crusher like this.

Had to vent a little. It's a Jeep thing, and no one around here understands. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 06:39 PM

Re: Slat grill in the junkyard, it just makes me sick

I know what you mean. I have a 1960 forward control at work that won't be there much longer if no one buys it. (crusher bait) It's pretty complete as seen in the pic. And was supposed to run.(we never tried) Still I think it's a good buy for the $250 he wants for it.(we have the title too) I don't have the place to keep it or it would come home with me.
So..........we'll see if this one makes it out alive. [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 07:37 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Jeez Dirt Dog, pay the $250 and leave it there! Work on it as you get time. It would be a shame to see an FC go to the crusher. I wish I had the room to put another project, I love those things!!!

CJDave isn't too far from you, maybe he's got room for it on "The farm". C'mon Dave, save this ol' ugly one. I'll meet you there to help you load it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 08:24 PM

I can't leave it there. It's on the "to die" list because space is always at a premium there. We go threw a lot of cars there, and are a later model yard. The only reason it's still alive is because of me. I told him to save it. Not part it. Someone would want to buy it whole. It sucks , but the clock is ticking.............and the sand is running out. [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 08:26 PM

Wow, man, you should pick that thing up, have a buddy let you keep it in his driveway for a week, and toss that sucker on eBay. I'd do it if it were near me, but I'm not up for the 26 hours of drivign to pick it up and come home, I'd pay more for gas than I did for the truck!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 08:31 PM

Dave my heart is crying for it, if i only have the 250 i'd come and pick it up, it's real tempting to build that up instead of the postal but i think i would be ridiculed for "killing it" and wheeling it the way i wheel my jeeps. I'll see if anybody is looking for one.

Andy
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 08:41 PM

Hahahaha, true Andy. YOU are the only person I know that could personally make a forward control uglier than it was. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
I don't even 'wanna know what plans you could come up with for that. [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
I'm scared to go to sleep tonight for fear you might show up on my doorstep with cash. [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Oh..........the humanity......... [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 08:49 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

But look at the plus side Andy, its already pre-rusted. Just nobody let him near the fenders! I'm currently trying to convince my folks to let me get an m715 thats on ebay right now. Its in a town thats on my route to school that I'll be driving tommorow and the price is under $2,000 right now. My mom thinks its ugly, but I know the true inner beauty of it.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 08:58 PM

Let's see plans would probalby be an exo cage, and new wheel wells. I'll spread the word and see if anybody i know wants it up here. If it was free or i could get it for like $50 i'd be down there to save it going to the crusher.

Andy
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 09:03 PM

Andy........if it was free, who wouldn't take it? I'd scab the axles just for the 5:38 gears. You can always sell those. I just don't want it sitting around the house while I destroy it. I want to see it go in 1 pc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode